Italian Survey on Cardiac Rehabilitation (ISYDE.13-Directory): Report su strutture, organizzazione e programmi di cardiologia riabilitativa in Italia

Raffaele Griffo, Roberto Tramarin, Maurizio Volterrani, Marco Ambrosetti, F. Caiazza, Claudio Chimini, Giuseppe Favretto, Oreste Carlo Febo, Michele Gabriele, Enrico Pusineri, Cesare Greco, C. Proto

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Background. The Italian Association for Cardiovascular Prevention, Rehabilitation and Epidemiology (GICRIACPR) and the Italian Society of Cardiologists of Accredited Hospitals (SICOA) developed the ISYDE.13 survey with the purpose to take a detailed snapshot of number, distribution, facilities, staffing levels, organization, and program details of cardiac rehabilitation (CR) units in Italy. Methods. The study was carried out using a web-based questionnaire running on the GICR-IACPR website for 4 weeks from September 2 to 29, 2013. Results. Out of 221 CR centers existing in Italy (+14% vs 2008), 191 (86%) participated in the survey. On a national basis, there is a CR unit every 268 852 inhabitants. The majority of CR units are located in public hospitals (57.1%), the remaining 42.9% in private hospitals; 130 CR centers (68%) provide inpatients care and account for 3527 beds (5.9 per 100 000 inhabitants): of these 374 are day-hospital beds and 408 are subintensive beds. Forty-one of the Italian in-hospital CR centers offer also outpatient programs and 61 centers (32%) offer only outpatient CR programs; 131 of the CR units (68.6%) are linked to dedicated cardiology divisions and in 77% of cases the head is a cardiologist. Home-based programs are offered by 9 centers (4.7%) and CR programs with telecare supervision by 16 (8.4%). Long-term secondary prevention follow-up programs are provided by 94 of CR services (49.2%). During one week of activity, the 191 centers completed 1335 inpatient CR programs and 971 outpatient CR programs. According to these data, it may be assumed that in Italy approximately 100 000 patients are referred annually to CR programs. Conclusions. ISYDE.13 showed an incremental trend of CR provision in Italy, particularly in outpatient programs. However, at present, the national network of CR units covers only one third of the potential requirements defined by current secondary prevention recommendations.

Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)217-224
Number of pages8
JournalGiornale Italiano di Cardiologia
Volume17
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - Mar 1 2016

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Cite this

Griffo, R., Tramarin, R., Volterrani, M., Ambrosetti, M., Caiazza, F., Chimini, C., Favretto, G., Febo, O. C., Gabriele, M., Pusineri, E., Greco, C., & Proto, C. (2016). Italian Survey on Cardiac Rehabilitation (ISYDE.13-Directory): Report su strutture, organizzazione e programmi di cardiologia riabilitativa in Italia. Giornale Italiano di Cardiologia, 17(3), 217-224.