Lung perfusion in patients with pulmonary hypertension: Comparison between MDCT pulmonary angiography with minIP reconstructions and 99mTc-MAA perfusion scan

Tommaso Bartalena, Devil Oboldi, Pier Luigi Guidalotti, Maria Francesca Rinaldi, Paola Bertaccini, Gabriella Napoli, Giampaolo Gavelli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

26 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

OBJECTIVES: Alterations in lung perfusion are a well-known feature of pulmonary hypertension (PH) seen on nuclear medicine studies. Abnormal radiotracer distribution in patients with PH may be caused by arterial thromboembolic occlusion, like in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension, by parenchymal destruction as in interstitial lung disease and pulmonary emphysema or by distal arteriopathy, like in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension and other nonembolic forms. The different imaging pattern on radionuclide perfusion studies represents an important element for differential diagnosis. The aim of this study was to evaluate minimum intensity projection (minIP) images as an alternative to perfusion scintigraphy. We compared lung parenchyma attenuation patterns as depicted in minIP reconstructions with scintigraphic findings of lung perfusion in patients affected by pulmonary hypertension from various etiologies. METHODS: One hundred and seven consecutive patients affected by PH of different etiology (37 of those had chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension) who had undergone both multidetector computed tomography pulmonary angiography and 99mTc-MAA perfusion scan were included. Five-millimeter thickness contiguous axial, coronal, and sagittal minIP images were reconstructed from the contrast enhanced computed tomography datasets. Two radiologists evaluated the images and qualitatively graded pulmonary attenuation as homogeneous, inhomogeneous with nonsegmental patchy defects, or inhomogeneous with segmental defects. The presence of parenchymal and pleural alterations was recorded. MinIP perfusion grading results were then compared with those of perfusion scintigraphy. RESULTS: In 87 of 107 patients (81.3%), the attenuation pattern seen on minIP images (39 homogeneous patterns, 13 with nonsegmental patchy defects, and 39 with segmental defects) correlated with the nuclear medicine scans. In the remaining 20 patients (18.7%), the imaging pattern was discordant because of 7 false-positive and 2 false-negative thromboembolic patterns at minIP and 11 false-positive thromboembolic patterns at perfusion scan. Air-trapping and parenchymal disease caused false-positive findings at minIP and perfusion scans, respectively. The sensitivity and specificity of minIP in detection of a chronic thromboembolic perfusion pattern were 94.5% and 90%, whereas perfusion scan had 100% sensitivity and 84% specificity. CONCLUSION: MinIP reconstructions can identify different patterns of pulmonary parenchymal attenuation, which show high concordance with perfusion patterns seen on radionuclide studies in patients with pulmonary hypertension. MinIP is a promising technique to evaluate lung perfusion in PH and may be used as an alternative to scintigraphy in the diagnostic work-up of these patients.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)368-373
Number of pages6
JournalInvestigative Radiology
Volume43
Issue number6
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jun 2008

Fingerprint

Pulmonary Hypertension
Angiography
Perfusion
Lung
Perfusion Imaging
Nuclear Medicine
Radioisotopes
Sensitivity and Specificity
Pulmonary Emphysema
Multidetector Computed Tomography
Interstitial Lung Diseases
Radionuclide Imaging
Differential Diagnosis
Air
Tomography

Keywords

  • minIP
  • Multidetector CTPA
  • Perfusion lung scintigraphy
  • Pulmonary hypertension

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Radiological and Ultrasound Technology

Cite this

Lung perfusion in patients with pulmonary hypertension : Comparison between MDCT pulmonary angiography with minIP reconstructions and 99mTc-MAA perfusion scan. / Bartalena, Tommaso; Oboldi, Devil; Guidalotti, Pier Luigi; Rinaldi, Maria Francesca; Bertaccini, Paola; Napoli, Gabriella; Gavelli, Giampaolo.

In: Investigative Radiology, Vol. 43, No. 6, 06.2008, p. 368-373.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Bartalena, Tommaso ; Oboldi, Devil ; Guidalotti, Pier Luigi ; Rinaldi, Maria Francesca ; Bertaccini, Paola ; Napoli, Gabriella ; Gavelli, Giampaolo. / Lung perfusion in patients with pulmonary hypertension : Comparison between MDCT pulmonary angiography with minIP reconstructions and 99mTc-MAA perfusion scan. In: Investigative Radiology. 2008 ; Vol. 43, No. 6. pp. 368-373.
@article{c9edbcf9cdee431784fed12130a27735,
title = "Lung perfusion in patients with pulmonary hypertension: Comparison between MDCT pulmonary angiography with minIP reconstructions and 99mTc-MAA perfusion scan",
abstract = "OBJECTIVES: Alterations in lung perfusion are a well-known feature of pulmonary hypertension (PH) seen on nuclear medicine studies. Abnormal radiotracer distribution in patients with PH may be caused by arterial thromboembolic occlusion, like in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension, by parenchymal destruction as in interstitial lung disease and pulmonary emphysema or by distal arteriopathy, like in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension and other nonembolic forms. The different imaging pattern on radionuclide perfusion studies represents an important element for differential diagnosis. The aim of this study was to evaluate minimum intensity projection (minIP) images as an alternative to perfusion scintigraphy. We compared lung parenchyma attenuation patterns as depicted in minIP reconstructions with scintigraphic findings of lung perfusion in patients affected by pulmonary hypertension from various etiologies. METHODS: One hundred and seven consecutive patients affected by PH of different etiology (37 of those had chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension) who had undergone both multidetector computed tomography pulmonary angiography and 99mTc-MAA perfusion scan were included. Five-millimeter thickness contiguous axial, coronal, and sagittal minIP images were reconstructed from the contrast enhanced computed tomography datasets. Two radiologists evaluated the images and qualitatively graded pulmonary attenuation as homogeneous, inhomogeneous with nonsegmental patchy defects, or inhomogeneous with segmental defects. The presence of parenchymal and pleural alterations was recorded. MinIP perfusion grading results were then compared with those of perfusion scintigraphy. RESULTS: In 87 of 107 patients (81.3{\%}), the attenuation pattern seen on minIP images (39 homogeneous patterns, 13 with nonsegmental patchy defects, and 39 with segmental defects) correlated with the nuclear medicine scans. In the remaining 20 patients (18.7{\%}), the imaging pattern was discordant because of 7 false-positive and 2 false-negative thromboembolic patterns at minIP and 11 false-positive thromboembolic patterns at perfusion scan. Air-trapping and parenchymal disease caused false-positive findings at minIP and perfusion scans, respectively. The sensitivity and specificity of minIP in detection of a chronic thromboembolic perfusion pattern were 94.5{\%} and 90{\%}, whereas perfusion scan had 100{\%} sensitivity and 84{\%} specificity. CONCLUSION: MinIP reconstructions can identify different patterns of pulmonary parenchymal attenuation, which show high concordance with perfusion patterns seen on radionuclide studies in patients with pulmonary hypertension. MinIP is a promising technique to evaluate lung perfusion in PH and may be used as an alternative to scintigraphy in the diagnostic work-up of these patients.",
keywords = "minIP, Multidetector CTPA, Perfusion lung scintigraphy, Pulmonary hypertension",
author = "Tommaso Bartalena and Devil Oboldi and Guidalotti, {Pier Luigi} and Rinaldi, {Maria Francesca} and Paola Bertaccini and Gabriella Napoli and Giampaolo Gavelli",
year = "2008",
month = "6",
doi = "10.1097/RLI.0b013e31816901e2",
language = "English",
volume = "43",
pages = "368--373",
journal = "Investigative Radiology",
issn = "0020-9996",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Lung perfusion in patients with pulmonary hypertension

T2 - Comparison between MDCT pulmonary angiography with minIP reconstructions and 99mTc-MAA perfusion scan

AU - Bartalena, Tommaso

AU - Oboldi, Devil

AU - Guidalotti, Pier Luigi

AU - Rinaldi, Maria Francesca

AU - Bertaccini, Paola

AU - Napoli, Gabriella

AU - Gavelli, Giampaolo

PY - 2008/6

Y1 - 2008/6

N2 - OBJECTIVES: Alterations in lung perfusion are a well-known feature of pulmonary hypertension (PH) seen on nuclear medicine studies. Abnormal radiotracer distribution in patients with PH may be caused by arterial thromboembolic occlusion, like in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension, by parenchymal destruction as in interstitial lung disease and pulmonary emphysema or by distal arteriopathy, like in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension and other nonembolic forms. The different imaging pattern on radionuclide perfusion studies represents an important element for differential diagnosis. The aim of this study was to evaluate minimum intensity projection (minIP) images as an alternative to perfusion scintigraphy. We compared lung parenchyma attenuation patterns as depicted in minIP reconstructions with scintigraphic findings of lung perfusion in patients affected by pulmonary hypertension from various etiologies. METHODS: One hundred and seven consecutive patients affected by PH of different etiology (37 of those had chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension) who had undergone both multidetector computed tomography pulmonary angiography and 99mTc-MAA perfusion scan were included. Five-millimeter thickness contiguous axial, coronal, and sagittal minIP images were reconstructed from the contrast enhanced computed tomography datasets. Two radiologists evaluated the images and qualitatively graded pulmonary attenuation as homogeneous, inhomogeneous with nonsegmental patchy defects, or inhomogeneous with segmental defects. The presence of parenchymal and pleural alterations was recorded. MinIP perfusion grading results were then compared with those of perfusion scintigraphy. RESULTS: In 87 of 107 patients (81.3%), the attenuation pattern seen on minIP images (39 homogeneous patterns, 13 with nonsegmental patchy defects, and 39 with segmental defects) correlated with the nuclear medicine scans. In the remaining 20 patients (18.7%), the imaging pattern was discordant because of 7 false-positive and 2 false-negative thromboembolic patterns at minIP and 11 false-positive thromboembolic patterns at perfusion scan. Air-trapping and parenchymal disease caused false-positive findings at minIP and perfusion scans, respectively. The sensitivity and specificity of minIP in detection of a chronic thromboembolic perfusion pattern were 94.5% and 90%, whereas perfusion scan had 100% sensitivity and 84% specificity. CONCLUSION: MinIP reconstructions can identify different patterns of pulmonary parenchymal attenuation, which show high concordance with perfusion patterns seen on radionuclide studies in patients with pulmonary hypertension. MinIP is a promising technique to evaluate lung perfusion in PH and may be used as an alternative to scintigraphy in the diagnostic work-up of these patients.

AB - OBJECTIVES: Alterations in lung perfusion are a well-known feature of pulmonary hypertension (PH) seen on nuclear medicine studies. Abnormal radiotracer distribution in patients with PH may be caused by arterial thromboembolic occlusion, like in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension, by parenchymal destruction as in interstitial lung disease and pulmonary emphysema or by distal arteriopathy, like in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension and other nonembolic forms. The different imaging pattern on radionuclide perfusion studies represents an important element for differential diagnosis. The aim of this study was to evaluate minimum intensity projection (minIP) images as an alternative to perfusion scintigraphy. We compared lung parenchyma attenuation patterns as depicted in minIP reconstructions with scintigraphic findings of lung perfusion in patients affected by pulmonary hypertension from various etiologies. METHODS: One hundred and seven consecutive patients affected by PH of different etiology (37 of those had chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension) who had undergone both multidetector computed tomography pulmonary angiography and 99mTc-MAA perfusion scan were included. Five-millimeter thickness contiguous axial, coronal, and sagittal minIP images were reconstructed from the contrast enhanced computed tomography datasets. Two radiologists evaluated the images and qualitatively graded pulmonary attenuation as homogeneous, inhomogeneous with nonsegmental patchy defects, or inhomogeneous with segmental defects. The presence of parenchymal and pleural alterations was recorded. MinIP perfusion grading results were then compared with those of perfusion scintigraphy. RESULTS: In 87 of 107 patients (81.3%), the attenuation pattern seen on minIP images (39 homogeneous patterns, 13 with nonsegmental patchy defects, and 39 with segmental defects) correlated with the nuclear medicine scans. In the remaining 20 patients (18.7%), the imaging pattern was discordant because of 7 false-positive and 2 false-negative thromboembolic patterns at minIP and 11 false-positive thromboembolic patterns at perfusion scan. Air-trapping and parenchymal disease caused false-positive findings at minIP and perfusion scans, respectively. The sensitivity and specificity of minIP in detection of a chronic thromboembolic perfusion pattern were 94.5% and 90%, whereas perfusion scan had 100% sensitivity and 84% specificity. CONCLUSION: MinIP reconstructions can identify different patterns of pulmonary parenchymal attenuation, which show high concordance with perfusion patterns seen on radionuclide studies in patients with pulmonary hypertension. MinIP is a promising technique to evaluate lung perfusion in PH and may be used as an alternative to scintigraphy in the diagnostic work-up of these patients.

KW - minIP

KW - Multidetector CTPA

KW - Perfusion lung scintigraphy

KW - Pulmonary hypertension

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=44449091911&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=44449091911&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1097/RLI.0b013e31816901e2

DO - 10.1097/RLI.0b013e31816901e2

M3 - Article

C2 - 18496041

AN - SCOPUS:44449091911

VL - 43

SP - 368

EP - 373

JO - Investigative Radiology

JF - Investigative Radiology

SN - 0020-9996

IS - 6

ER -