Megestrol acetate plus alpha 2a interferon as second line therapy for postmenopausal patients with advanced breast cancer: Results of a multicentric phase II trial

Domenico Amoroso, Francesco Boccardo, Monica Balestrero, Loredana Miglietta, Fulvio Brema, Riccardo Cellerino, Antonio Farris, Ugo Folco, Stefano Iacobelli, Mario Mesiti

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

This phase II study was aimed to evaluate the activity of a combination of megestrol acetate (MA) and alpha 2a interferon (IFN) in a group of tamoxifen-responsive breast cancer patients. Thirty patients with metastatic breast cancer either previously treated with adjuvant tamoxifen for at least 24 months or treated with tamoxifen for metastatic disease and showing an objective response or stability of disease, were given MA (single daily dose of 160 mg per os) and alpha 2a IFN (3 million units - MU - three times per week intramuscularly -i.m. -). Of the 29 evaluable patients, 2 (6.8%) achieved a complete response and 4 (13.8%) a partial response for an overall response rate of 20.6% (95% confidence limits = 5.9%-35.4%). Treatment toxicity was mild and no patient had to discontinue or delay the treatment due to IFN side effects. Our results seem to rule out that alpha 2a IFN is able to improve the activity of MA as second-line therapy in tamoxifen-responsive patients.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)265-268
Number of pages4
JournalBreast Cancer Research and Treatment
Volume33
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Mar 1995

Fingerprint

Megestrol Acetate
Tamoxifen
Breast Neoplasms
Therapeutics
Interferons
interferon alfa-2a

Keywords

  • advanced breast cancer
  • alpha 2a interferon
  • endocrine therapy
  • megestrol acetate

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Cite this

Megestrol acetate plus alpha 2a interferon as second line therapy for postmenopausal patients with advanced breast cancer : Results of a multicentric phase II trial. / Amoroso, Domenico; Boccardo, Francesco; Balestrero, Monica; Miglietta, Loredana; Brema, Fulvio; Cellerino, Riccardo; Farris, Antonio; Folco, Ugo; Iacobelli, Stefano; Mesiti, Mario.

In: Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, Vol. 33, No. 3, 03.1995, p. 265-268.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Amoroso, Domenico ; Boccardo, Francesco ; Balestrero, Monica ; Miglietta, Loredana ; Brema, Fulvio ; Cellerino, Riccardo ; Farris, Antonio ; Folco, Ugo ; Iacobelli, Stefano ; Mesiti, Mario. / Megestrol acetate plus alpha 2a interferon as second line therapy for postmenopausal patients with advanced breast cancer : Results of a multicentric phase II trial. In: Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 1995 ; Vol. 33, No. 3. pp. 265-268.
@article{113625acdf374c54b083c317d07afc81,
title = "Megestrol acetate plus alpha 2a interferon as second line therapy for postmenopausal patients with advanced breast cancer: Results of a multicentric phase II trial",
abstract = "This phase II study was aimed to evaluate the activity of a combination of megestrol acetate (MA) and alpha 2a interferon (IFN) in a group of tamoxifen-responsive breast cancer patients. Thirty patients with metastatic breast cancer either previously treated with adjuvant tamoxifen for at least 24 months or treated with tamoxifen for metastatic disease and showing an objective response or stability of disease, were given MA (single daily dose of 160 mg per os) and alpha 2a IFN (3 million units - MU - three times per week intramuscularly -i.m. -). Of the 29 evaluable patients, 2 (6.8{\%}) achieved a complete response and 4 (13.8{\%}) a partial response for an overall response rate of 20.6{\%} (95{\%} confidence limits = 5.9{\%}-35.4{\%}). Treatment toxicity was mild and no patient had to discontinue or delay the treatment due to IFN side effects. Our results seem to rule out that alpha 2a IFN is able to improve the activity of MA as second-line therapy in tamoxifen-responsive patients.",
keywords = "advanced breast cancer, alpha 2a interferon, endocrine therapy, megestrol acetate",
author = "Domenico Amoroso and Francesco Boccardo and Monica Balestrero and Loredana Miglietta and Fulvio Brema and Riccardo Cellerino and Antonio Farris and Ugo Folco and Stefano Iacobelli and Mario Mesiti",
year = "1995",
month = "3",
doi = "10.1007/BF00665951",
language = "English",
volume = "33",
pages = "265--268",
journal = "Breast Cancer Research and Treatment",
issn = "0167-6806",
publisher = "Springer New York LLC",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Megestrol acetate plus alpha 2a interferon as second line therapy for postmenopausal patients with advanced breast cancer

T2 - Results of a multicentric phase II trial

AU - Amoroso, Domenico

AU - Boccardo, Francesco

AU - Balestrero, Monica

AU - Miglietta, Loredana

AU - Brema, Fulvio

AU - Cellerino, Riccardo

AU - Farris, Antonio

AU - Folco, Ugo

AU - Iacobelli, Stefano

AU - Mesiti, Mario

PY - 1995/3

Y1 - 1995/3

N2 - This phase II study was aimed to evaluate the activity of a combination of megestrol acetate (MA) and alpha 2a interferon (IFN) in a group of tamoxifen-responsive breast cancer patients. Thirty patients with metastatic breast cancer either previously treated with adjuvant tamoxifen for at least 24 months or treated with tamoxifen for metastatic disease and showing an objective response or stability of disease, were given MA (single daily dose of 160 mg per os) and alpha 2a IFN (3 million units - MU - three times per week intramuscularly -i.m. -). Of the 29 evaluable patients, 2 (6.8%) achieved a complete response and 4 (13.8%) a partial response for an overall response rate of 20.6% (95% confidence limits = 5.9%-35.4%). Treatment toxicity was mild and no patient had to discontinue or delay the treatment due to IFN side effects. Our results seem to rule out that alpha 2a IFN is able to improve the activity of MA as second-line therapy in tamoxifen-responsive patients.

AB - This phase II study was aimed to evaluate the activity of a combination of megestrol acetate (MA) and alpha 2a interferon (IFN) in a group of tamoxifen-responsive breast cancer patients. Thirty patients with metastatic breast cancer either previously treated with adjuvant tamoxifen for at least 24 months or treated with tamoxifen for metastatic disease and showing an objective response or stability of disease, were given MA (single daily dose of 160 mg per os) and alpha 2a IFN (3 million units - MU - three times per week intramuscularly -i.m. -). Of the 29 evaluable patients, 2 (6.8%) achieved a complete response and 4 (13.8%) a partial response for an overall response rate of 20.6% (95% confidence limits = 5.9%-35.4%). Treatment toxicity was mild and no patient had to discontinue or delay the treatment due to IFN side effects. Our results seem to rule out that alpha 2a IFN is able to improve the activity of MA as second-line therapy in tamoxifen-responsive patients.

KW - advanced breast cancer

KW - alpha 2a interferon

KW - endocrine therapy

KW - megestrol acetate

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0028900967&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0028900967&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/BF00665951

DO - 10.1007/BF00665951

M3 - Article

C2 - 7749154

AN - SCOPUS:0028900967

VL - 33

SP - 265

EP - 268

JO - Breast Cancer Research and Treatment

JF - Breast Cancer Research and Treatment

SN - 0167-6806

IS - 3

ER -