Muiticentric phase II trial of gemcitabine plus epirubicin plus paclitaxel as first-line chemotherapy in metastatic breast cancer

F. Cappuzzo, F. Mazzoni, A. Gennari, S. Donati, B. Salvadori, C. Orlandini, G. L. Cetto, A. Molino, E. Galligioni, M. Mansutti, S. Tumolo, A. Lucentini, F. Valduga, S. Bartolini, L. Crinò, P. F. Conte

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

In this phase II, multicentre trial, patients with metastatic breast cancer (MBC) were treated with a combination of gemcitabine, epirubicin and paclitaxel (GET). The primary objective of this study was to determine the tolerability and activity in terms of complete responce (CR) and overall response rate of the GET combination in this patient population. Patients with no prior treatment for MBC, and at least one bidimensionaily measurable lesion received gemcitabine 1000 mg m-2 intravenously (i.v.) over 30 min on days 1 and 4, followed by epirubicin i.v. at 90 mg m-2 on day 1, and paclitaxel 175 mg m-2 over 3 h on day 1, every 21 days, up to eight courses. From May 1999 to June 2000, 48 patients were enrolled from seven Italian institutions. A total of 297 chemotherapy courses were administered with a median of six cycles patient-1 (range 1-8). Seven patients (15%) obtained CR and 27 patients (56%) had partial responce, for an overall response rate of 71% (95% CI: 58.3-83.7). After a median follow-up of 23.7 months (range 7.0-34.4), median progression-free survival was 10.5 months (95% CI: 9.2-11.7), and median overall survival 25.9 months. The main haematological toxicity consisted of grade 3 or 4 neutropenia that occurred in 62% of cycles (22% grade 4 and 40% grade 3). The GET combination is active and well tolerated as first-line chemotherapy for MBC.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)31-35
Number of pages5
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
Volume90
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jan 12 2004

Keywords

  • Advanced breast cancer
  • Chemotherapy
  • Epirubicin
  • Gemcitabine
  • Paclitaxel

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Muiticentric phase II trial of gemcitabine plus epirubicin plus paclitaxel as first-line chemotherapy in metastatic breast cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Cappuzzo, F., Mazzoni, F., Gennari, A., Donati, S., Salvadori, B., Orlandini, C., Cetto, G. L., Molino, A., Galligioni, E., Mansutti, M., Tumolo, S., Lucentini, A., Valduga, F., Bartolini, S., Crinò, L., & Conte, P. F. (2004). Muiticentric phase II trial of gemcitabine plus epirubicin plus paclitaxel as first-line chemotherapy in metastatic breast cancer. British Journal of Cancer, 90(1), 31-35. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601518