New mixed ligand coated platinum nanoparticles for heterogeneous catalytic applications

Anirban Ghosh, Francesco Stellacci, Rajiv Kumar

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

12 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

A series of platinum nanoparticles was prepared for the first time in presence of one hydrophobic ligand and one hydrophilic ligand containing terminal sulfonic acid headgroup. This mixed ligand combination causes stripe-like domains circumscribing the nanoparticles, thereby enhancing the catalytic efficiency compared to single ligand coated Pt nanocatalysts. This could be achieved by strategically replacing the hydrophilic ligand (3-mercaptopropane-1-sulfonic acid or MPSA) with hydrophobic ligands (linear alkanethiols like 1-octanethiol or OT) on the surface of the nanoparticles. Apart from the ligand composition, the metallic core of the nanocomposite also influences the catalytic efficiency of the ligand shell through a synergistic effect. Herein we report the effects of ligand shell composition and structure on the efficiency of the nanocomposites on catalytic acylation reactions. Quite high conversion of benzyl alcohol to benzyl acetate (with >99% selectivity) was observed when acetic acid was used as the acetylating reagent and MPSA-OT-Pt as nanocatalyst at 80 °C. The turnover frequency of reaction using MPSA-OT-Pt nanocatalyst was found to be an order of magnitude higher than that using well known solid acid catalyst zeolite USY under identical reaction conditions. Further, the selectivity toward benzyl acetate using USY was ≤80%, the remaining 20% being dibenzylether. It was also found that the MPSA-OT-Pt nanocatalyst system shows higher activity than gold nanoparticles coated with same set of ligands (such as MPSA-OT-Au nanocatalyst). Additionally, the effects of changing the substrate (such as 1-butanol) and the acylating agent (such as propionic acid) were also studied.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)77-84
Number of pages8
JournalCatalysis Today
Volume198
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Dec 30 2012

Fingerprint

Platinum
Ligands
Nanoparticles
Sulfonic Acids
Acids
Nanocomposites
Shells (structures)
Benzyl Alcohol
Zeolites
Acylation
Propionic acid
1-Butanol
Chemical analysis
Butenes
Acetic acid
Acetic Acid
Gold
Alcohols
3-mercaptopyridine-2-sulfonamide
Catalysts

Keywords

  • Acetylation
  • Acid catalysis
  • Benzyl acetate
  • Platinum nanoparticle
  • Striped nanoparticle

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Catalysis
  • Chemistry(all)

Cite this

New mixed ligand coated platinum nanoparticles for heterogeneous catalytic applications. / Ghosh, Anirban; Stellacci, Francesco; Kumar, Rajiv.

In: Catalysis Today, Vol. 198, No. 1, 30.12.2012, p. 77-84.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Ghosh, Anirban ; Stellacci, Francesco ; Kumar, Rajiv. / New mixed ligand coated platinum nanoparticles for heterogeneous catalytic applications. In: Catalysis Today. 2012 ; Vol. 198, No. 1. pp. 77-84.
@article{d55a64842631411c87345c8a0fd7cac4,
title = "New mixed ligand coated platinum nanoparticles for heterogeneous catalytic applications",
abstract = "A series of platinum nanoparticles was prepared for the first time in presence of one hydrophobic ligand and one hydrophilic ligand containing terminal sulfonic acid headgroup. This mixed ligand combination causes stripe-like domains circumscribing the nanoparticles, thereby enhancing the catalytic efficiency compared to single ligand coated Pt nanocatalysts. This could be achieved by strategically replacing the hydrophilic ligand (3-mercaptopropane-1-sulfonic acid or MPSA) with hydrophobic ligands (linear alkanethiols like 1-octanethiol or OT) on the surface of the nanoparticles. Apart from the ligand composition, the metallic core of the nanocomposite also influences the catalytic efficiency of the ligand shell through a synergistic effect. Herein we report the effects of ligand shell composition and structure on the efficiency of the nanocomposites on catalytic acylation reactions. Quite high conversion of benzyl alcohol to benzyl acetate (with >99{\%} selectivity) was observed when acetic acid was used as the acetylating reagent and MPSA-OT-Pt as nanocatalyst at 80 °C. The turnover frequency of reaction using MPSA-OT-Pt nanocatalyst was found to be an order of magnitude higher than that using well known solid acid catalyst zeolite USY under identical reaction conditions. Further, the selectivity toward benzyl acetate using USY was ≤80{\%}, the remaining 20{\%} being dibenzylether. It was also found that the MPSA-OT-Pt nanocatalyst system shows higher activity than gold nanoparticles coated with same set of ligands (such as MPSA-OT-Au nanocatalyst). Additionally, the effects of changing the substrate (such as 1-butanol) and the acylating agent (such as propionic acid) were also studied.",
keywords = "Acetylation, Acid catalysis, Benzyl acetate, Platinum nanoparticle, Striped nanoparticle",
author = "Anirban Ghosh and Francesco Stellacci and Rajiv Kumar",
year = "2012",
month = "12",
day = "30",
doi = "10.1016/j.cattod.2012.03.079",
language = "English",
volume = "198",
pages = "77--84",
journal = "Catalysis Today",
issn = "0920-5861",
publisher = "Elsevier",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - New mixed ligand coated platinum nanoparticles for heterogeneous catalytic applications

AU - Ghosh, Anirban

AU - Stellacci, Francesco

AU - Kumar, Rajiv

PY - 2012/12/30

Y1 - 2012/12/30

N2 - A series of platinum nanoparticles was prepared for the first time in presence of one hydrophobic ligand and one hydrophilic ligand containing terminal sulfonic acid headgroup. This mixed ligand combination causes stripe-like domains circumscribing the nanoparticles, thereby enhancing the catalytic efficiency compared to single ligand coated Pt nanocatalysts. This could be achieved by strategically replacing the hydrophilic ligand (3-mercaptopropane-1-sulfonic acid or MPSA) with hydrophobic ligands (linear alkanethiols like 1-octanethiol or OT) on the surface of the nanoparticles. Apart from the ligand composition, the metallic core of the nanocomposite also influences the catalytic efficiency of the ligand shell through a synergistic effect. Herein we report the effects of ligand shell composition and structure on the efficiency of the nanocomposites on catalytic acylation reactions. Quite high conversion of benzyl alcohol to benzyl acetate (with >99% selectivity) was observed when acetic acid was used as the acetylating reagent and MPSA-OT-Pt as nanocatalyst at 80 °C. The turnover frequency of reaction using MPSA-OT-Pt nanocatalyst was found to be an order of magnitude higher than that using well known solid acid catalyst zeolite USY under identical reaction conditions. Further, the selectivity toward benzyl acetate using USY was ≤80%, the remaining 20% being dibenzylether. It was also found that the MPSA-OT-Pt nanocatalyst system shows higher activity than gold nanoparticles coated with same set of ligands (such as MPSA-OT-Au nanocatalyst). Additionally, the effects of changing the substrate (such as 1-butanol) and the acylating agent (such as propionic acid) were also studied.

AB - A series of platinum nanoparticles was prepared for the first time in presence of one hydrophobic ligand and one hydrophilic ligand containing terminal sulfonic acid headgroup. This mixed ligand combination causes stripe-like domains circumscribing the nanoparticles, thereby enhancing the catalytic efficiency compared to single ligand coated Pt nanocatalysts. This could be achieved by strategically replacing the hydrophilic ligand (3-mercaptopropane-1-sulfonic acid or MPSA) with hydrophobic ligands (linear alkanethiols like 1-octanethiol or OT) on the surface of the nanoparticles. Apart from the ligand composition, the metallic core of the nanocomposite also influences the catalytic efficiency of the ligand shell through a synergistic effect. Herein we report the effects of ligand shell composition and structure on the efficiency of the nanocomposites on catalytic acylation reactions. Quite high conversion of benzyl alcohol to benzyl acetate (with >99% selectivity) was observed when acetic acid was used as the acetylating reagent and MPSA-OT-Pt as nanocatalyst at 80 °C. The turnover frequency of reaction using MPSA-OT-Pt nanocatalyst was found to be an order of magnitude higher than that using well known solid acid catalyst zeolite USY under identical reaction conditions. Further, the selectivity toward benzyl acetate using USY was ≤80%, the remaining 20% being dibenzylether. It was also found that the MPSA-OT-Pt nanocatalyst system shows higher activity than gold nanoparticles coated with same set of ligands (such as MPSA-OT-Au nanocatalyst). Additionally, the effects of changing the substrate (such as 1-butanol) and the acylating agent (such as propionic acid) were also studied.

KW - Acetylation

KW - Acid catalysis

KW - Benzyl acetate

KW - Platinum nanoparticle

KW - Striped nanoparticle

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84869504292&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84869504292&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.cattod.2012.03.079

DO - 10.1016/j.cattod.2012.03.079

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:84869504292

VL - 198

SP - 77

EP - 84

JO - Catalysis Today

JF - Catalysis Today

SN - 0920-5861

IS - 1

ER -