Nonfunctioning Pancreatic Endocrine Tumors

A Multicenter Clinical Study

Lucio Gullo, Marina Migliori, Massimo Falconi, Paolo Pederzoli, Rossella Bettini, Riccardo Casadei, Gianfranco Delle Fave, Vito D. Corleto, Claudio Ceccarelli, Donatella Santini, Paola Tomassetti

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

104 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

OBJECTIVES: Nonfunctioning pancreatic endocrine tumors (NFPTs) are rare neoplasms that have been the object of few studies that have involved only small numbers of patients. This study was carried out to obtain a comprehensive and up-to-date clinical picture of these tumors. METHODS: A total of 184 patients with NFPT admitted to three Italian hospitals in the last 15 yr were studied. The diagnosis of NFPT was confirmed histologically using conventional and immunohistochemical techniques. Data were obtained from the medical charts or directly from the patients. RESULTS: There were 85 men (46.2%) and 99 women (53.8%). The mean age at diagnosis was 55.2 yr (range 17-82 yr). The percentage of smokers and alcohol drinkers was similar to that in the general population. Seven patients (3.9%) had a family history of exocrine pancreatic carcinoma. In 120 cases (65.2%), the diagnosis was made after workup for pain or other symptoms, in the remaining 64 cases (34.8%), the tumor was discovered incidentally by ultrasound; in this group survival was significantly greater than it was for the symptomatic patients (p = 0.0043). Survival was also found to be improved by tumor resection (p <0.0001), absence of metastases (p <0.0001), and small tumor size (≤3 cm) (p <0.0007). CONCLUSIONS: NFPTs were slightly more frequent in women and were diagnosed most often in middle-aged individuals. No risk factors other than a family history of exocrine pancreatic carcinoma were found. Tumor discovery while patients were still asymptomatic, tumor resection, absence of metastases, and tumor size ≤3 cm significantly prolonged survival.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2435-2439
Number of pages5
JournalAmerican Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume98
Issue number11
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Nov 2003

Fingerprint

Multicenter Studies
Neoplasms
Survival
Clinical Studies
Neoplasm Metastasis
Alcohols
Pain

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Gastroenterology

Cite this

Gullo, L., Migliori, M., Falconi, M., Pederzoli, P., Bettini, R., Casadei, R., ... Tomassetti, P. (2003). Nonfunctioning Pancreatic Endocrine Tumors: A Multicenter Clinical Study. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 98(11), 2435-2439. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2003.07704.x

Nonfunctioning Pancreatic Endocrine Tumors : A Multicenter Clinical Study. / Gullo, Lucio; Migliori, Marina; Falconi, Massimo; Pederzoli, Paolo; Bettini, Rossella; Casadei, Riccardo; Delle Fave, Gianfranco; Corleto, Vito D.; Ceccarelli, Claudio; Santini, Donatella; Tomassetti, Paola.

In: American Journal of Gastroenterology, Vol. 98, No. 11, 11.2003, p. 2435-2439.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Gullo, L, Migliori, M, Falconi, M, Pederzoli, P, Bettini, R, Casadei, R, Delle Fave, G, Corleto, VD, Ceccarelli, C, Santini, D & Tomassetti, P 2003, 'Nonfunctioning Pancreatic Endocrine Tumors: A Multicenter Clinical Study', American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 2435-2439. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2003.07704.x
Gullo, Lucio ; Migliori, Marina ; Falconi, Massimo ; Pederzoli, Paolo ; Bettini, Rossella ; Casadei, Riccardo ; Delle Fave, Gianfranco ; Corleto, Vito D. ; Ceccarelli, Claudio ; Santini, Donatella ; Tomassetti, Paola. / Nonfunctioning Pancreatic Endocrine Tumors : A Multicenter Clinical Study. In: American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2003 ; Vol. 98, No. 11. pp. 2435-2439.
@article{c04c769dc290470cb3c6b67c80efddb7,
title = "Nonfunctioning Pancreatic Endocrine Tumors: A Multicenter Clinical Study",
abstract = "OBJECTIVES: Nonfunctioning pancreatic endocrine tumors (NFPTs) are rare neoplasms that have been the object of few studies that have involved only small numbers of patients. This study was carried out to obtain a comprehensive and up-to-date clinical picture of these tumors. METHODS: A total of 184 patients with NFPT admitted to three Italian hospitals in the last 15 yr were studied. The diagnosis of NFPT was confirmed histologically using conventional and immunohistochemical techniques. Data were obtained from the medical charts or directly from the patients. RESULTS: There were 85 men (46.2{\%}) and 99 women (53.8{\%}). The mean age at diagnosis was 55.2 yr (range 17-82 yr). The percentage of smokers and alcohol drinkers was similar to that in the general population. Seven patients (3.9{\%}) had a family history of exocrine pancreatic carcinoma. In 120 cases (65.2{\%}), the diagnosis was made after workup for pain or other symptoms, in the remaining 64 cases (34.8{\%}), the tumor was discovered incidentally by ultrasound; in this group survival was significantly greater than it was for the symptomatic patients (p = 0.0043). Survival was also found to be improved by tumor resection (p <0.0001), absence of metastases (p <0.0001), and small tumor size (≤3 cm) (p <0.0007). CONCLUSIONS: NFPTs were slightly more frequent in women and were diagnosed most often in middle-aged individuals. No risk factors other than a family history of exocrine pancreatic carcinoma were found. Tumor discovery while patients were still asymptomatic, tumor resection, absence of metastases, and tumor size ≤3 cm significantly prolonged survival.",
author = "Lucio Gullo and Marina Migliori and Massimo Falconi and Paolo Pederzoli and Rossella Bettini and Riccardo Casadei and {Delle Fave}, Gianfranco and Corleto, {Vito D.} and Claudio Ceccarelli and Donatella Santini and Paola Tomassetti",
year = "2003",
month = "11",
doi = "10.1111/j.1572-0241.2003.07704.x",
language = "English",
volume = "98",
pages = "2435--2439",
journal = "American Journal of Gastroenterology",
issn = "0002-9270",
publisher = "Nature Publishing Group",
number = "11",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Nonfunctioning Pancreatic Endocrine Tumors

T2 - A Multicenter Clinical Study

AU - Gullo, Lucio

AU - Migliori, Marina

AU - Falconi, Massimo

AU - Pederzoli, Paolo

AU - Bettini, Rossella

AU - Casadei, Riccardo

AU - Delle Fave, Gianfranco

AU - Corleto, Vito D.

AU - Ceccarelli, Claudio

AU - Santini, Donatella

AU - Tomassetti, Paola

PY - 2003/11

Y1 - 2003/11

N2 - OBJECTIVES: Nonfunctioning pancreatic endocrine tumors (NFPTs) are rare neoplasms that have been the object of few studies that have involved only small numbers of patients. This study was carried out to obtain a comprehensive and up-to-date clinical picture of these tumors. METHODS: A total of 184 patients with NFPT admitted to three Italian hospitals in the last 15 yr were studied. The diagnosis of NFPT was confirmed histologically using conventional and immunohistochemical techniques. Data were obtained from the medical charts or directly from the patients. RESULTS: There were 85 men (46.2%) and 99 women (53.8%). The mean age at diagnosis was 55.2 yr (range 17-82 yr). The percentage of smokers and alcohol drinkers was similar to that in the general population. Seven patients (3.9%) had a family history of exocrine pancreatic carcinoma. In 120 cases (65.2%), the diagnosis was made after workup for pain or other symptoms, in the remaining 64 cases (34.8%), the tumor was discovered incidentally by ultrasound; in this group survival was significantly greater than it was for the symptomatic patients (p = 0.0043). Survival was also found to be improved by tumor resection (p <0.0001), absence of metastases (p <0.0001), and small tumor size (≤3 cm) (p <0.0007). CONCLUSIONS: NFPTs were slightly more frequent in women and were diagnosed most often in middle-aged individuals. No risk factors other than a family history of exocrine pancreatic carcinoma were found. Tumor discovery while patients were still asymptomatic, tumor resection, absence of metastases, and tumor size ≤3 cm significantly prolonged survival.

AB - OBJECTIVES: Nonfunctioning pancreatic endocrine tumors (NFPTs) are rare neoplasms that have been the object of few studies that have involved only small numbers of patients. This study was carried out to obtain a comprehensive and up-to-date clinical picture of these tumors. METHODS: A total of 184 patients with NFPT admitted to three Italian hospitals in the last 15 yr were studied. The diagnosis of NFPT was confirmed histologically using conventional and immunohistochemical techniques. Data were obtained from the medical charts or directly from the patients. RESULTS: There were 85 men (46.2%) and 99 women (53.8%). The mean age at diagnosis was 55.2 yr (range 17-82 yr). The percentage of smokers and alcohol drinkers was similar to that in the general population. Seven patients (3.9%) had a family history of exocrine pancreatic carcinoma. In 120 cases (65.2%), the diagnosis was made after workup for pain or other symptoms, in the remaining 64 cases (34.8%), the tumor was discovered incidentally by ultrasound; in this group survival was significantly greater than it was for the symptomatic patients (p = 0.0043). Survival was also found to be improved by tumor resection (p <0.0001), absence of metastases (p <0.0001), and small tumor size (≤3 cm) (p <0.0007). CONCLUSIONS: NFPTs were slightly more frequent in women and were diagnosed most often in middle-aged individuals. No risk factors other than a family history of exocrine pancreatic carcinoma were found. Tumor discovery while patients were still asymptomatic, tumor resection, absence of metastases, and tumor size ≤3 cm significantly prolonged survival.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0344496213&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0344496213&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1111/j.1572-0241.2003.07704.x

DO - 10.1111/j.1572-0241.2003.07704.x

M3 - Article

VL - 98

SP - 2435

EP - 2439

JO - American Journal of Gastroenterology

JF - American Journal of Gastroenterology

SN - 0002-9270

IS - 11

ER -