Poor outcomes in COVID-19 correlate with clinical and laboratory features of cytokine storm syndrome. Broad screening for cytokine storm and early, targeted antiinflammatory therapy may prevent immunopathology and could help conserve limited health care resources. While studies are ongoing, extrapolating from clinical experience in cytokine storm syndromes may benefit the multidisciplinary teams caring for patients with severe COVID-19.
- Anti-Inflammatory Agents/therapeutic use
- Coronavirus Infections/complications
- Cytokine Release Syndrome/diagnosis
- Early Medical Intervention
- Pneumonia, Viral/complications