Optical coherence tomography in idiopathic epiretinal macular membrane surgery

C. Azzolini, F. Patelli, M. Codenotti, L. Pierro, R. Brancato

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Purpose. To evaluate the usefulness of Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) images for surgical indication, intraoperative management and postoperative outcome of patients with idiopathic epiretinal macular membrane (IEMM). Methods. 28 selected eyes underwent surgery for removal of IEMM. The patients' mean age was 57.3 years. The macular region and the IEMM(s) were studied before and after surgery using OCT, slit-lamp biomicroscopy and fundus photography. The mean postoperative follow-up was 6.2 months (range 1.3-14). Results. Preoperatively, in 12 of the 28 eyes (42.9%) only the OCT images revealed IEMM partially separated from the macula, with tractional focal point(s) of attachment to the macular region. In the other 16 eyes (57.1%) in which IEMM(s) were totally adherent to the macular region, the membranes were barely visible by OCT in 13 eyes and not visible in three. Intraoperatively, the surgeon was guided in the peeling procedures. A significant correlation (p <0.001) was found between visual acuity and macular thickness before surgery and at the end of the postoperative follow- up. Conclusions. OCT images provide very useful information for the surgical indication, intraoperative management and postoperative outcome of patients with IEMM.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)206-211
Number of pages6
JournalEuropean Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume9
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - 1999

    Fingerprint

Keywords

  • Epiretinal macular membrane
  • Macula
  • Optical Coherence Tomography
  • Retinal thickness
  • Vitreoretinal surgery

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Ophthalmology

Cite this

Azzolini, C., Patelli, F., Codenotti, M., Pierro, L., & Brancato, R. (1999). Optical coherence tomography in idiopathic epiretinal macular membrane surgery. European Journal of Ophthalmology, 9(3), 206-211.