Orthodromic sensory conduction along the ring finger in normal subjects and in patients with a carpal tunnel syndrome

Martin Lauritzen, Rocco Liguori, Werner Trojaborg

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

The purpose of the present study was to examine the value of measuring sensory conduction along the median and ulnar nerves of the fourth finger in the diagnosis of a carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). In 23 controls, sensory conductions along median and ulnar nerves were identical. In 28 of 38 patients with CTS, stimulation of the ring finger revealed a reduced conduction velocity along sensory median nerve fibres in contrast to normal conduction along ulnar sensory nerve fibers. In 5 patients, a sensory action potential was absent over the median nerve and in another 5 sensory conduction was normal along both nerves. We conclude that testing of sensory conduction along the ring finger is useful in about 74% of patients with CTS, while in the remaining 26% other fingers must be examined to establish the diagnosis.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)18-23
Number of pages6
JournalElectroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology - Evoked Potentials
Volume81
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1991

Keywords

  • Carpal tunnel syndrome
  • Conduction velocity
  • Median nerve
  • Sensory conduction
  • Ulnar nerve

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Clinical Neurology
  • Neuroscience(all)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Orthodromic sensory conduction along the ring finger in normal subjects and in patients with a carpal tunnel syndrome'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this