Ovarian metastases in early-stage cervical cancer (IA2-IIA): A multicenter retrospective study of 1965 patients (a cooperative task force study)

F. Landoni, V. Zanagnolo, L. Lovato-Diaz, A. Maneo, R. Rossi, A. Gadducci, S. Cosio, T. Maggino, E. Sartori, C. Tisi, P. Zola, F. Marocco, E. Botteri, K. Ravanelli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

This is a retrospective study of patients treated for early-stage cervical cancer to identify pathologic risk factors associated with ovarian metastases and, therefore, to establish when ovarian preservation can be performed without increasing the risk of relapse in order to improve the quality of life in premenopausal patients. Between 1982 and 2004, 1965 patients with FIGO stage IA2-IB-IIA cervical squamous cell carcinoma and nonsquamous histology types were surgically treated; 1695 (86%) patients underwent primary radical hysterectomy, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, and pelvic node dissection, the remaining 270 patients (14%) had their ovaries preserved. The clinical records were reviewed for all patients and clinical features at presentation, the histopathology and follow-up data were recorded. Overall, ovarian metastases were diagnosed in 16 of 1695 patients, for an incidence rate of 0.9%. Univariate analysis shows age (≤45 vs >45 years: P = 0.0079), FIGO stage (IB1-IIA ≤4 cm vs IB2-IIA >4 cm: P = 0.0133), histology (squamous vs nonsquamous, P = 0.0014), noninvolved peripheral stromal thickness (3 mm: P = 0.0001), lymphvascular space involvement (present vs absent, P = 0.0007), lymph node status (positive vs negative, P = 0.00009) to be statistically associated with the presence of ovarian metastases. Multivariate analysis shows only age (P = 0.0119), FIGO stage (P = 0.011), histology (P = 0.001), and unaffected peripheral stromal thickness (

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)623-628
Number of pages6
JournalInternational Journal of Gynecological Cancer
Volume17
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - May 2007

Keywords

  • Adenocarcinoma
  • Cervical cancer
  • Ovarian preservation

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Obstetrics and Gynaecology
  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Ovarian metastases in early-stage cervical cancer (IA2-IIA): A multicenter retrospective study of 1965 patients (a cooperative task force study)'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this