Paclitaxel administration on days 1 and 8 every 21 days in anthracycline-pretreated metastatic breast cancer patients. A multicenter phase II trial

M. Donadio, E. Manzin, A. Berruti, A. Bottini, G. Gorzegno, S. Danese, E. DeFabiani, M. G. Sarobba, V. Lorusso, F. Castiglione, G. Moro, O. Bertetto, C. Bumma, L. Dogliotti

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

10 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Paclitaxel is now included in second- and even first-line regimens in advanced breast cancer. The optimal dose and schedule of this drug, however, still remain a matter of investigation. A group of 57 consecutive patients with advanced breast cancer previously treated with anthracycline-containing regimens were submitted to treatment with single-agent paclitaxel administered at 130 mg/m2 on days 1 and 8 every 21 days. Of the 57 patients, 56 were fully evaluable, and of these 25 had an absolute anthracycline resistance, 14 a relative resistance and 17 were potentially sensitive. The median age of the patients was 57 years (range 33-71 years), their median performance status was 1 (0-3), and 27 (47%) had liver involvement, 17 (30%) lung involvement, 30 (53%) bone involvement and 15 (26%) skin/lymph node involvement. Toxicity was recorded in 295 cycles. This scheme was well tolerated, the dose-limiting toxicities being hematological and neurological. Grade 3/4 leukopenia was observed in 20% of patients at nadir, while grade 3 leukopenia was observed in 3% of patients at recycle. Only one patient experienced febrile neutropenia. Grade 2/3 neurotoxicity was observed in 26% of patients, leading to drug withdrawal in three. The treatment was given on an outpatient basis in all patients and the median relative dose intensity of 86.6 mg/m2 per week was 100% of the planned dose (range 75-100%). Three patients (5%) attained a complete clinical response and 12 (21%) a partial, response for an overall response rate of 26% (95% confidence interval 18-38%), while 30 (53%) attained disease stabilization and 11 progressed (19%). Time to progression in responding patients was 10.3 months, and the median overall survival of the entire population was 15.4 months. To conclude, paclitaxel administration on days 1 and 8 every 21 days was active and manageable in advanced breast cancer patients previously treated with anthracyclines. The response obtained was durable.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)391-396
Number of pages6
JournalCancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
Volume47
Issue number5
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2001

Fingerprint

Anthracyclines
Paclitaxel
Breast Neoplasms
Toxicity
Pharmaceutical Preparations
Liver
Skin
Bone
Stabilization
Leukopenia
Febrile Neutropenia
Appointments and Schedules
Outpatients
Lymph Nodes
Confidence Intervals
Bone and Bones
Lung

Keywords

  • Anthracyclines
  • Breast-cancer
  • Paclitaxel
  • Second-line chemotherapy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Pharmacology
  • Oncology

Cite this

Paclitaxel administration on days 1 and 8 every 21 days in anthracycline-pretreated metastatic breast cancer patients. A multicenter phase II trial. / Donadio, M.; Manzin, E.; Berruti, A.; Bottini, A.; Gorzegno, G.; Danese, S.; DeFabiani, E.; Sarobba, M. G.; Lorusso, V.; Castiglione, F.; Moro, G.; Bertetto, O.; Bumma, C.; Dogliotti, L.

In: Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, Vol. 47, No. 5, 2001, p. 391-396.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Donadio, M, Manzin, E, Berruti, A, Bottini, A, Gorzegno, G, Danese, S, DeFabiani, E, Sarobba, MG, Lorusso, V, Castiglione, F, Moro, G, Bertetto, O, Bumma, C & Dogliotti, L 2001, 'Paclitaxel administration on days 1 and 8 every 21 days in anthracycline-pretreated metastatic breast cancer patients. A multicenter phase II trial', Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 391-396. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002800000247
Donadio, M. ; Manzin, E. ; Berruti, A. ; Bottini, A. ; Gorzegno, G. ; Danese, S. ; DeFabiani, E. ; Sarobba, M. G. ; Lorusso, V. ; Castiglione, F. ; Moro, G. ; Bertetto, O. ; Bumma, C. ; Dogliotti, L. / Paclitaxel administration on days 1 and 8 every 21 days in anthracycline-pretreated metastatic breast cancer patients. A multicenter phase II trial. In: Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology. 2001 ; Vol. 47, No. 5. pp. 391-396.
@article{6b1e747e6cac4593a4477b74031e11cd,
title = "Paclitaxel administration on days 1 and 8 every 21 days in anthracycline-pretreated metastatic breast cancer patients. A multicenter phase II trial",
abstract = "Paclitaxel is now included in second- and even first-line regimens in advanced breast cancer. The optimal dose and schedule of this drug, however, still remain a matter of investigation. A group of 57 consecutive patients with advanced breast cancer previously treated with anthracycline-containing regimens were submitted to treatment with single-agent paclitaxel administered at 130 mg/m2 on days 1 and 8 every 21 days. Of the 57 patients, 56 were fully evaluable, and of these 25 had an absolute anthracycline resistance, 14 a relative resistance and 17 were potentially sensitive. The median age of the patients was 57 years (range 33-71 years), their median performance status was 1 (0-3), and 27 (47{\%}) had liver involvement, 17 (30{\%}) lung involvement, 30 (53{\%}) bone involvement and 15 (26{\%}) skin/lymph node involvement. Toxicity was recorded in 295 cycles. This scheme was well tolerated, the dose-limiting toxicities being hematological and neurological. Grade 3/4 leukopenia was observed in 20{\%} of patients at nadir, while grade 3 leukopenia was observed in 3{\%} of patients at recycle. Only one patient experienced febrile neutropenia. Grade 2/3 neurotoxicity was observed in 26{\%} of patients, leading to drug withdrawal in three. The treatment was given on an outpatient basis in all patients and the median relative dose intensity of 86.6 mg/m2 per week was 100{\%} of the planned dose (range 75-100{\%}). Three patients (5{\%}) attained a complete clinical response and 12 (21{\%}) a partial, response for an overall response rate of 26{\%} (95{\%} confidence interval 18-38{\%}), while 30 (53{\%}) attained disease stabilization and 11 progressed (19{\%}). Time to progression in responding patients was 10.3 months, and the median overall survival of the entire population was 15.4 months. To conclude, paclitaxel administration on days 1 and 8 every 21 days was active and manageable in advanced breast cancer patients previously treated with anthracyclines. The response obtained was durable.",
keywords = "Anthracyclines, Breast-cancer, Paclitaxel, Second-line chemotherapy",
author = "M. Donadio and E. Manzin and A. Berruti and A. Bottini and G. Gorzegno and S. Danese and E. DeFabiani and Sarobba, {M. G.} and V. Lorusso and F. Castiglione and G. Moro and O. Bertetto and C. Bumma and L. Dogliotti",
year = "2001",
doi = "10.1007/s002800000247",
language = "English",
volume = "47",
pages = "391--396",
journal = "Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology",
issn = "0344-5704",
publisher = "Springer Verlag",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Paclitaxel administration on days 1 and 8 every 21 days in anthracycline-pretreated metastatic breast cancer patients. A multicenter phase II trial

AU - Donadio, M.

AU - Manzin, E.

AU - Berruti, A.

AU - Bottini, A.

AU - Gorzegno, G.

AU - Danese, S.

AU - DeFabiani, E.

AU - Sarobba, M. G.

AU - Lorusso, V.

AU - Castiglione, F.

AU - Moro, G.

AU - Bertetto, O.

AU - Bumma, C.

AU - Dogliotti, L.

PY - 2001

Y1 - 2001

N2 - Paclitaxel is now included in second- and even first-line regimens in advanced breast cancer. The optimal dose and schedule of this drug, however, still remain a matter of investigation. A group of 57 consecutive patients with advanced breast cancer previously treated with anthracycline-containing regimens were submitted to treatment with single-agent paclitaxel administered at 130 mg/m2 on days 1 and 8 every 21 days. Of the 57 patients, 56 were fully evaluable, and of these 25 had an absolute anthracycline resistance, 14 a relative resistance and 17 were potentially sensitive. The median age of the patients was 57 years (range 33-71 years), their median performance status was 1 (0-3), and 27 (47%) had liver involvement, 17 (30%) lung involvement, 30 (53%) bone involvement and 15 (26%) skin/lymph node involvement. Toxicity was recorded in 295 cycles. This scheme was well tolerated, the dose-limiting toxicities being hematological and neurological. Grade 3/4 leukopenia was observed in 20% of patients at nadir, while grade 3 leukopenia was observed in 3% of patients at recycle. Only one patient experienced febrile neutropenia. Grade 2/3 neurotoxicity was observed in 26% of patients, leading to drug withdrawal in three. The treatment was given on an outpatient basis in all patients and the median relative dose intensity of 86.6 mg/m2 per week was 100% of the planned dose (range 75-100%). Three patients (5%) attained a complete clinical response and 12 (21%) a partial, response for an overall response rate of 26% (95% confidence interval 18-38%), while 30 (53%) attained disease stabilization and 11 progressed (19%). Time to progression in responding patients was 10.3 months, and the median overall survival of the entire population was 15.4 months. To conclude, paclitaxel administration on days 1 and 8 every 21 days was active and manageable in advanced breast cancer patients previously treated with anthracyclines. The response obtained was durable.

AB - Paclitaxel is now included in second- and even first-line regimens in advanced breast cancer. The optimal dose and schedule of this drug, however, still remain a matter of investigation. A group of 57 consecutive patients with advanced breast cancer previously treated with anthracycline-containing regimens were submitted to treatment with single-agent paclitaxel administered at 130 mg/m2 on days 1 and 8 every 21 days. Of the 57 patients, 56 were fully evaluable, and of these 25 had an absolute anthracycline resistance, 14 a relative resistance and 17 were potentially sensitive. The median age of the patients was 57 years (range 33-71 years), their median performance status was 1 (0-3), and 27 (47%) had liver involvement, 17 (30%) lung involvement, 30 (53%) bone involvement and 15 (26%) skin/lymph node involvement. Toxicity was recorded in 295 cycles. This scheme was well tolerated, the dose-limiting toxicities being hematological and neurological. Grade 3/4 leukopenia was observed in 20% of patients at nadir, while grade 3 leukopenia was observed in 3% of patients at recycle. Only one patient experienced febrile neutropenia. Grade 2/3 neurotoxicity was observed in 26% of patients, leading to drug withdrawal in three. The treatment was given on an outpatient basis in all patients and the median relative dose intensity of 86.6 mg/m2 per week was 100% of the planned dose (range 75-100%). Three patients (5%) attained a complete clinical response and 12 (21%) a partial, response for an overall response rate of 26% (95% confidence interval 18-38%), while 30 (53%) attained disease stabilization and 11 progressed (19%). Time to progression in responding patients was 10.3 months, and the median overall survival of the entire population was 15.4 months. To conclude, paclitaxel administration on days 1 and 8 every 21 days was active and manageable in advanced breast cancer patients previously treated with anthracyclines. The response obtained was durable.

KW - Anthracyclines

KW - Breast-cancer

KW - Paclitaxel

KW - Second-line chemotherapy

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0035038242&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0035038242&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s002800000247

DO - 10.1007/s002800000247

M3 - Article

VL - 47

SP - 391

EP - 396

JO - Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology

JF - Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology

SN - 0344-5704

IS - 5

ER -