Pancreatic morpho-functional imaging as a diagnostic approach for chronic asymptomatic pancreatic hyperenzymemia

Milena Di Leo, Maria Chiara Petrone, Raffaella Alessia Zuppardo, Giulia Martina Cavestro, Paolo Giorgio Arcidiacono, Pier Alberto Testoni, Alberto Mariani

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background Magnetic resonance cholangio-pancreatography (MRCP) findings in people with chronic asymptomatic pancreatic hyperenzymemia (CAPH) have shifted the hypothesis that CAPH is always non-pathological. However, there have been no studies including both secretin-MRCP (S-MRCP) and endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) to examine the pancreatic morphology in these subjects. Aim To prospectively assess the diagnostic approach for CAPH using both pancreatic EUS and S-MRCP. Methods In a case-control prospective study from January 2010 to December 2014, 68 consecutive subjects with CAPH were scheduled to undergo S-MRCP and EUS (CAPH group) in a tertiary care setting. In the same period, the EUS findings of this group were compared with 68 patients examined by EUS alone for submucosal lesions of the gastric fundus, matched for sex and age (control group). Results EUS detected pancreatic alterations in 60.3% of the CAPH group and 13.2% of controls (p < 0.001). S-MRCP showed pancreatic alterations in 51.5% in the CAPH group. With the combined procedures, pancreatic abnormalities were detected in 63.3%. The diagnoses established by the two techniques were concordant in 51 (75%) of the 68 CAPH subjects; in the remaining 17 (25%) the two methods gave additional information. Conclusions In people with CAPH S-MRCP and EUS are both recommended in order to detect pancreatic abnormalities before this biochemical alteration is confirmed as benign CAPH, or Gullo's syndrome.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1330-1335
Number of pages6
JournalDigestive and Liver Disease
Volume48
Issue number11
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Nov 1 2016

Keywords

  • EUS
  • MRCP
  • Pancreas
  • Secretin stimulation

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Hepatology
  • Gastroenterology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Pancreatic morpho-functional imaging as a diagnostic approach for chronic asymptomatic pancreatic hyperenzymemia'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this