Papillary thyroid carcinomas with biochemical incomplete or indeterminate responses to initial treatment: repeat stimulated thyroglobulin assay to identify disease-free patients

Livia Lamartina, Teresa Montesano, Fabiana Trulli, Marco Attard, Massimo Torlontano, Rocco Bruno, Domenico Meringolo, Fabio Monzani, Salvatore Tumino, Giuseppe Ronga, Marianna Maranghi, Marco Biffoni, Sebastiano Filetti, Cosimo Durante

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

8 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Papillary thyroid cancer (PTC) patients treated with thyroidectomy and radioiodine remnant ablation (RRA) often have detectable TSH-stimulated thyroglobulin (Tg) levels without localizable disease after primary treatment. To assess the value of repeat stimulated Tg assays in these patients’ follow-up, we retrospectively analyzed 86 cases followed in 5 Italian thyroid-cancer referral centers. We enrolled 86 patients with PTCs treated with total/near-total thyroidectomy plus RRA between January 1,1990 and January 31, 2006. In all cases, the initial postoperative visit revealed stimulated serum Tg ≥1 ng/mL, negative Tg antibodies, and no structural evidence of disease. None received empiric radioiodine therapy. Follow-up (median: 9.6 years) included neck ultrasound and basal Tg assays (yearly) and at least 1 repeat stimulated Tg assay. Of the 86 patients analyzed (initial risk: low 63 %, intermediate 35 %, high 2 %), one (1 %) had ultrasound-detected lymph node disease and persistently elevated stimulated Tg levels at 3 years. In 17 (20 %), imaging findings were consistently negative, but the final stimulated Tg levels was still >1 ng/mL (median 2.07 ng/mL, range 1.02–4.7). The other 68 (80 %) appeared disease-free (persistently negative imaging findings with stimulated Tg levels ≤1 ng/mL). Mean intervals between first and final stimulated Tg assays were similar (5.2 and 4.8 years) in subgroups with versus without Tg normalization. Reclassification as disease-free was significantly more common when initial stimulated Tg levels were indeterminate (

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1-9
Number of pages9
JournalEndocrine
DOIs
Publication statusAccepted/In press - Dec 14 2015

Fingerprint

Thyroglobulin
Therapeutics
Thyroidectomy
Papillary Thyroid cancer
Factor IX
Thyroid Neoplasms
Neck
Referral and Consultation
Lymph Nodes

Keywords

  • Biochemical incomplete response
  • Follow-up
  • Indeterminate response
  • Papillary thyroid cancer
  • Recurrences
  • Thyroglobulin

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Endocrinology
  • Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism

Cite this

Papillary thyroid carcinomas with biochemical incomplete or indeterminate responses to initial treatment : repeat stimulated thyroglobulin assay to identify disease-free patients. / Lamartina, Livia; Montesano, Teresa; Trulli, Fabiana; Attard, Marco; Torlontano, Massimo; Bruno, Rocco; Meringolo, Domenico; Monzani, Fabio; Tumino, Salvatore; Ronga, Giuseppe; Maranghi, Marianna; Biffoni, Marco; Filetti, Sebastiano; Durante, Cosimo.

In: Endocrine, 14.12.2015, p. 1-9.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Lamartina, L, Montesano, T, Trulli, F, Attard, M, Torlontano, M, Bruno, R, Meringolo, D, Monzani, F, Tumino, S, Ronga, G, Maranghi, M, Biffoni, M, Filetti, S & Durante, C 2015, 'Papillary thyroid carcinomas with biochemical incomplete or indeterminate responses to initial treatment: repeat stimulated thyroglobulin assay to identify disease-free patients', Endocrine, pp. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-015-0823-3
Lamartina, Livia ; Montesano, Teresa ; Trulli, Fabiana ; Attard, Marco ; Torlontano, Massimo ; Bruno, Rocco ; Meringolo, Domenico ; Monzani, Fabio ; Tumino, Salvatore ; Ronga, Giuseppe ; Maranghi, Marianna ; Biffoni, Marco ; Filetti, Sebastiano ; Durante, Cosimo. / Papillary thyroid carcinomas with biochemical incomplete or indeterminate responses to initial treatment : repeat stimulated thyroglobulin assay to identify disease-free patients. In: Endocrine. 2015 ; pp. 1-9.
@article{e0739b0c6cad4068b4b84866dcd9f78d,
title = "Papillary thyroid carcinomas with biochemical incomplete or indeterminate responses to initial treatment: repeat stimulated thyroglobulin assay to identify disease-free patients",
abstract = "Papillary thyroid cancer (PTC) patients treated with thyroidectomy and radioiodine remnant ablation (RRA) often have detectable TSH-stimulated thyroglobulin (Tg) levels without localizable disease after primary treatment. To assess the value of repeat stimulated Tg assays in these patients’ follow-up, we retrospectively analyzed 86 cases followed in 5 Italian thyroid-cancer referral centers. We enrolled 86 patients with PTCs treated with total/near-total thyroidectomy plus RRA between January 1,1990 and January 31, 2006. In all cases, the initial postoperative visit revealed stimulated serum Tg ≥1 ng/mL, negative Tg antibodies, and no structural evidence of disease. None received empiric radioiodine therapy. Follow-up (median: 9.6 years) included neck ultrasound and basal Tg assays (yearly) and at least 1 repeat stimulated Tg assay. Of the 86 patients analyzed (initial risk: low 63 {\%}, intermediate 35 {\%}, high 2 {\%}), one (1 {\%}) had ultrasound-detected lymph node disease and persistently elevated stimulated Tg levels at 3 years. In 17 (20 {\%}), imaging findings were consistently negative, but the final stimulated Tg levels was still >1 ng/mL (median 2.07 ng/mL, range 1.02–4.7). The other 68 (80 {\%}) appeared disease-free (persistently negative imaging findings with stimulated Tg levels ≤1 ng/mL). Mean intervals between first and final stimulated Tg assays were similar (5.2 and 4.8 years) in subgroups with versus without Tg normalization. Reclassification as disease-free was significantly more common when initial stimulated Tg levels were indeterminate (",
keywords = "Biochemical incomplete response, Follow-up, Indeterminate response, Papillary thyroid cancer, Recurrences, Thyroglobulin",
author = "Livia Lamartina and Teresa Montesano and Fabiana Trulli and Marco Attard and Massimo Torlontano and Rocco Bruno and Domenico Meringolo and Fabio Monzani and Salvatore Tumino and Giuseppe Ronga and Marianna Maranghi and Marco Biffoni and Sebastiano Filetti and Cosimo Durante",
year = "2015",
month = "12",
day = "14",
doi = "10.1007/s12020-015-0823-3",
language = "English",
pages = "1--9",
journal = "Endocrine",
issn = "1355-008X",
publisher = "Humana Press Inc.",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Papillary thyroid carcinomas with biochemical incomplete or indeterminate responses to initial treatment

T2 - repeat stimulated thyroglobulin assay to identify disease-free patients

AU - Lamartina, Livia

AU - Montesano, Teresa

AU - Trulli, Fabiana

AU - Attard, Marco

AU - Torlontano, Massimo

AU - Bruno, Rocco

AU - Meringolo, Domenico

AU - Monzani, Fabio

AU - Tumino, Salvatore

AU - Ronga, Giuseppe

AU - Maranghi, Marianna

AU - Biffoni, Marco

AU - Filetti, Sebastiano

AU - Durante, Cosimo

PY - 2015/12/14

Y1 - 2015/12/14

N2 - Papillary thyroid cancer (PTC) patients treated with thyroidectomy and radioiodine remnant ablation (RRA) often have detectable TSH-stimulated thyroglobulin (Tg) levels without localizable disease after primary treatment. To assess the value of repeat stimulated Tg assays in these patients’ follow-up, we retrospectively analyzed 86 cases followed in 5 Italian thyroid-cancer referral centers. We enrolled 86 patients with PTCs treated with total/near-total thyroidectomy plus RRA between January 1,1990 and January 31, 2006. In all cases, the initial postoperative visit revealed stimulated serum Tg ≥1 ng/mL, negative Tg antibodies, and no structural evidence of disease. None received empiric radioiodine therapy. Follow-up (median: 9.6 years) included neck ultrasound and basal Tg assays (yearly) and at least 1 repeat stimulated Tg assay. Of the 86 patients analyzed (initial risk: low 63 %, intermediate 35 %, high 2 %), one (1 %) had ultrasound-detected lymph node disease and persistently elevated stimulated Tg levels at 3 years. In 17 (20 %), imaging findings were consistently negative, but the final stimulated Tg levels was still >1 ng/mL (median 2.07 ng/mL, range 1.02–4.7). The other 68 (80 %) appeared disease-free (persistently negative imaging findings with stimulated Tg levels ≤1 ng/mL). Mean intervals between first and final stimulated Tg assays were similar (5.2 and 4.8 years) in subgroups with versus without Tg normalization. Reclassification as disease-free was significantly more common when initial stimulated Tg levels were indeterminate (

AB - Papillary thyroid cancer (PTC) patients treated with thyroidectomy and radioiodine remnant ablation (RRA) often have detectable TSH-stimulated thyroglobulin (Tg) levels without localizable disease after primary treatment. To assess the value of repeat stimulated Tg assays in these patients’ follow-up, we retrospectively analyzed 86 cases followed in 5 Italian thyroid-cancer referral centers. We enrolled 86 patients with PTCs treated with total/near-total thyroidectomy plus RRA between January 1,1990 and January 31, 2006. In all cases, the initial postoperative visit revealed stimulated serum Tg ≥1 ng/mL, negative Tg antibodies, and no structural evidence of disease. None received empiric radioiodine therapy. Follow-up (median: 9.6 years) included neck ultrasound and basal Tg assays (yearly) and at least 1 repeat stimulated Tg assay. Of the 86 patients analyzed (initial risk: low 63 %, intermediate 35 %, high 2 %), one (1 %) had ultrasound-detected lymph node disease and persistently elevated stimulated Tg levels at 3 years. In 17 (20 %), imaging findings were consistently negative, but the final stimulated Tg levels was still >1 ng/mL (median 2.07 ng/mL, range 1.02–4.7). The other 68 (80 %) appeared disease-free (persistently negative imaging findings with stimulated Tg levels ≤1 ng/mL). Mean intervals between first and final stimulated Tg assays were similar (5.2 and 4.8 years) in subgroups with versus without Tg normalization. Reclassification as disease-free was significantly more common when initial stimulated Tg levels were indeterminate (

KW - Biochemical incomplete response

KW - Follow-up

KW - Indeterminate response

KW - Papillary thyroid cancer

KW - Recurrences

KW - Thyroglobulin

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84949750962&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84949750962&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s12020-015-0823-3

DO - 10.1007/s12020-015-0823-3

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:84949750962

SP - 1

EP - 9

JO - Endocrine

JF - Endocrine

SN - 1355-008X

ER -