"Paraduodenal" pancreatitis: Results of surgery on 58 consecutives patients from a single institution

L. Casetti, C. Bassi, R. Salvia, G. Butturini, R. Graziani, M. Falconi, L. Frulloni, S. Crippa, G. Zamboni, P. Pederzoli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Background Cystic dystrophy of heterotopic pancreas, groove pancreatitis, pancreatic hamartoma of the duodenum, paraduodenal wall cyst, and myoadenomatosis are all terms grouped together, from a pathological viewpoint, as definitions of paraduodenal pancreatitis (PP). The objective of the present study was to investigate the clinical characteristics, therapeutic strategies, and results in 58 patients undergoing pancreatic resection for PP. Methods From January 1990 to December 2006 data were prospectively collected on 58 patients who were diagnosed with PP who then underwent pancreaticoduodenectomy. Results In this patient cohort the median age was 44.7 years; only 4 patients were women, and only 3 had non-drinker and/or non smoker habits. The overall morbidity was 18.9%, and the median hospitalization was 11 days. There were no postoperative deaths. In a median follow-up of 96.3 months, all patients noted a decrease in the pain associated with PP; 35 patients (76%) had complete disappearance of pain, whereas occasional relapsing pain occurred in the remaining 11 (24%). Conclusions Patients with PP have clinical characteristics similar to those of chronic pancreatitis. The diagnostic imaging modalities of choice are ultrasonographic endoscopy and magnetic resonance cholangiopancreaticography. Based on our surgical experience, pancreaticoduodenectomy seems to be a reasonable choice of treatment in patients with PP.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2664-2669
Number of pages6
JournalWorld Journal of Surgery
Volume33
Issue number12
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2009

Fingerprint

Pancreatitis
Pancreaticoduodenectomy
Pain
Hamartoma
Chronic Pancreatitis
Diagnostic Imaging
Duodenum
Endoscopy
Habits
Cysts
Pancreas
Hospitalization
Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
Morbidity
Therapeutics

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery

Cite this

"Paraduodenal" pancreatitis : Results of surgery on 58 consecutives patients from a single institution. / Casetti, L.; Bassi, C.; Salvia, R.; Butturini, G.; Graziani, R.; Falconi, M.; Frulloni, L.; Crippa, S.; Zamboni, G.; Pederzoli, P.

In: World Journal of Surgery, Vol. 33, No. 12, 2009, p. 2664-2669.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Casetti, L, Bassi, C, Salvia, R, Butturini, G, Graziani, R, Falconi, M, Frulloni, L, Crippa, S, Zamboni, G & Pederzoli, P 2009, '"Paraduodenal" pancreatitis: Results of surgery on 58 consecutives patients from a single institution', World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2664-2669. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-009-0238-5
Casetti, L. ; Bassi, C. ; Salvia, R. ; Butturini, G. ; Graziani, R. ; Falconi, M. ; Frulloni, L. ; Crippa, S. ; Zamboni, G. ; Pederzoli, P. / "Paraduodenal" pancreatitis : Results of surgery on 58 consecutives patients from a single institution. In: World Journal of Surgery. 2009 ; Vol. 33, No. 12. pp. 2664-2669.
@article{6630137f704d43f1a938b5637b758648,
title = "{"}Paraduodenal{"} pancreatitis: Results of surgery on 58 consecutives patients from a single institution",
abstract = "Background Cystic dystrophy of heterotopic pancreas, groove pancreatitis, pancreatic hamartoma of the duodenum, paraduodenal wall cyst, and myoadenomatosis are all terms grouped together, from a pathological viewpoint, as definitions of paraduodenal pancreatitis (PP). The objective of the present study was to investigate the clinical characteristics, therapeutic strategies, and results in 58 patients undergoing pancreatic resection for PP. Methods From January 1990 to December 2006 data were prospectively collected on 58 patients who were diagnosed with PP who then underwent pancreaticoduodenectomy. Results In this patient cohort the median age was 44.7 years; only 4 patients were women, and only 3 had non-drinker and/or non smoker habits. The overall morbidity was 18.9{\%}, and the median hospitalization was 11 days. There were no postoperative deaths. In a median follow-up of 96.3 months, all patients noted a decrease in the pain associated with PP; 35 patients (76{\%}) had complete disappearance of pain, whereas occasional relapsing pain occurred in the remaining 11 (24{\%}). Conclusions Patients with PP have clinical characteristics similar to those of chronic pancreatitis. The diagnostic imaging modalities of choice are ultrasonographic endoscopy and magnetic resonance cholangiopancreaticography. Based on our surgical experience, pancreaticoduodenectomy seems to be a reasonable choice of treatment in patients with PP.",
author = "L. Casetti and C. Bassi and R. Salvia and G. Butturini and R. Graziani and M. Falconi and L. Frulloni and S. Crippa and G. Zamboni and P. Pederzoli",
year = "2009",
doi = "10.1007/s00268-009-0238-5",
language = "English",
volume = "33",
pages = "2664--2669",
journal = "World Journal of Surgery",
issn = "0364-2313",
publisher = "Springer New York",
number = "12",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - "Paraduodenal" pancreatitis

T2 - Results of surgery on 58 consecutives patients from a single institution

AU - Casetti, L.

AU - Bassi, C.

AU - Salvia, R.

AU - Butturini, G.

AU - Graziani, R.

AU - Falconi, M.

AU - Frulloni, L.

AU - Crippa, S.

AU - Zamboni, G.

AU - Pederzoli, P.

PY - 2009

Y1 - 2009

N2 - Background Cystic dystrophy of heterotopic pancreas, groove pancreatitis, pancreatic hamartoma of the duodenum, paraduodenal wall cyst, and myoadenomatosis are all terms grouped together, from a pathological viewpoint, as definitions of paraduodenal pancreatitis (PP). The objective of the present study was to investigate the clinical characteristics, therapeutic strategies, and results in 58 patients undergoing pancreatic resection for PP. Methods From January 1990 to December 2006 data were prospectively collected on 58 patients who were diagnosed with PP who then underwent pancreaticoduodenectomy. Results In this patient cohort the median age was 44.7 years; only 4 patients were women, and only 3 had non-drinker and/or non smoker habits. The overall morbidity was 18.9%, and the median hospitalization was 11 days. There were no postoperative deaths. In a median follow-up of 96.3 months, all patients noted a decrease in the pain associated with PP; 35 patients (76%) had complete disappearance of pain, whereas occasional relapsing pain occurred in the remaining 11 (24%). Conclusions Patients with PP have clinical characteristics similar to those of chronic pancreatitis. The diagnostic imaging modalities of choice are ultrasonographic endoscopy and magnetic resonance cholangiopancreaticography. Based on our surgical experience, pancreaticoduodenectomy seems to be a reasonable choice of treatment in patients with PP.

AB - Background Cystic dystrophy of heterotopic pancreas, groove pancreatitis, pancreatic hamartoma of the duodenum, paraduodenal wall cyst, and myoadenomatosis are all terms grouped together, from a pathological viewpoint, as definitions of paraduodenal pancreatitis (PP). The objective of the present study was to investigate the clinical characteristics, therapeutic strategies, and results in 58 patients undergoing pancreatic resection for PP. Methods From January 1990 to December 2006 data were prospectively collected on 58 patients who were diagnosed with PP who then underwent pancreaticoduodenectomy. Results In this patient cohort the median age was 44.7 years; only 4 patients were women, and only 3 had non-drinker and/or non smoker habits. The overall morbidity was 18.9%, and the median hospitalization was 11 days. There were no postoperative deaths. In a median follow-up of 96.3 months, all patients noted a decrease in the pain associated with PP; 35 patients (76%) had complete disappearance of pain, whereas occasional relapsing pain occurred in the remaining 11 (24%). Conclusions Patients with PP have clinical characteristics similar to those of chronic pancreatitis. The diagnostic imaging modalities of choice are ultrasonographic endoscopy and magnetic resonance cholangiopancreaticography. Based on our surgical experience, pancreaticoduodenectomy seems to be a reasonable choice of treatment in patients with PP.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=77956068527&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=77956068527&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s00268-009-0238-5

DO - 10.1007/s00268-009-0238-5

M3 - Article

C2 - 19809849

AN - SCOPUS:77956068527

VL - 33

SP - 2664

EP - 2669

JO - World Journal of Surgery

JF - World Journal of Surgery

SN - 0364-2313

IS - 12

ER -