Patency of infarct-related artery: Effect of restoration of anterograde flow on vagal reflexes

Andrea Mortara, Giuseppe Specchia, Maria Teresa La Rovere, J. Thomas Bigger, Frank I. Marcus, John A. Camm, Stefan H. Hohnloser, Ryuji Nohara, Peter J. Schwartz

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background: In post-myocardial infarction (MI) patients, the restoration of anterograde flow in the infarct-related artery (IRA) significantly improves survival. Limitation of infarct size and increased electrical stability of the myocardium are likely operating mechanisms for this beneficial effect. We tested the hypothesis that patency of the IRA may enhance vagal reflexes, a factor known to affect electrical stability of the infarcted myocardium. Methods and Results: Analysis of angiographic data was performed in 359 of 1284 post-M1 patients enrolled in a multicenter prospective study within 8 weeks after the index MI. All the patients underwent baroreflex sensitivity (BRS) assessment by the phenylephrine method. The BRS of the entire population averaged 8.2±5.5 ms/mm Hg and was significantly related to age but not to ejection fraction (EF). One-two-, and three-vessel disease was present in 138, 96, and 99 patients, respectively, while no coronary stenosis was observed in 26. IRA patency was documented in 234 patients (65%), while in the remaining 125 (35%), the artery remained occluded. Patients with occluded IRAs had more extensive coronary disease (2 to 3 vessels, 71% versus 46%, P

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1114-1122
Number of pages9
JournalCirculation
Volume93
Issue number6
Publication statusPublished - Mar 15 1996

Keywords

  • angiography
  • myocardial infarction
  • nervous system, autonomic
  • reperfusion

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Physiology
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Patency of infarct-related artery: Effect of restoration of anterograde flow on vagal reflexes'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this