Patterns of T cell receptor gamma gene rearrangement and expression in B and T lymphoid malignancies

M. Subar, P. G. Pelicci, A. Neri, P. Allavena, D. R. Littman, D. M. Knowles, R. Dalla-Favera

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

The frequency and pattern of Tγ gene rearrangement and expression was investigated in hematopoietic neoplasms including T and B lymphoid and myeloid malignancies. 39 of 39 T lymphoid neoplasms, including fresh cases and cell lines, were found to display clonal Tγ gene rearrangements. There was heterogeneity with respect to utilization of the two Tγ constant region genes, TγC1 and TγC2. In 31 cases (80%) TγC1 was deleted and TγC2 was rearranged, while in the remaining 8 cases (20%) TγC1 was rearranged. Tγ gene rearrangements were found in non-T cells, but were restricted to 6/17 (35%) immature B cell neoplasms. All 24 mature B cell and 14 myeloid neoplasms retained the Tγ germ line pattern. Tγ mRNA was found in all T cells tested. However, the majority (16/17) of T cells most likely do not express a Tγ protein since a Tα/β heterodimer detected by reactivity with the MoAb WT31 is present on the cell surface together with T3. These data suggest that Tγ gene rearrangements are universal in T cells and frequent in immature B cell neoplastic populations. However, expression of the Tγ protein is extremely infrequent, indicating that T cell neoplasms are very rarely derived from the recently identified T3++Tα/β- peripheral T cell population.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)19-26
Number of pages8
JournalLeukemia
Volume2
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 1988

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Hematology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Patterns of T cell receptor gamma gene rearrangement and expression in B and T lymphoid malignancies'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this