Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin and gemcitabine in the front-line treatment of recurrent/metastatic breast cancer

A multicentre phase II study

V. Adamo, V. Lorusso, R. Rossello, B. Adamo, G. Ferraro, D. Lorusso, G. Condemi, D. Priolo, L. Di Lullo, A. Paglia, S. Pisconti, G. Scambia, G. Ferrandina

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

18 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

This multicentre phase II study was aimed at investigating the activity and safety of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD) and gemcitabine (GEM) as front-line therapy in a large series of chemotherapy-naïve recurrent/metastatic breast cancer patients. From June 2003 to December 2006, a total of 71 recurrent/metastatic breast cancer patients were enrolled. Median age was 63 years (range=37-79), and 31 patients (43.7%) were ≥65 years old. Patients received PLD, 25 mg m -2, day 1, followed by GEM, 800 mg m -2, days 1 and 8, q21. Response was evaluable in 64 cases. Eight complete (12.5%) and 17 partial responses (26.6%) were registered, with an overall response rate of 39.1%. Thirty patients (46.9%) experienced stable disease, with an overall clinical benefit of 85.9%. Median time to progression (TTP) was 11 months, whereas median overall survival (OS) was not reached. The rate of 1- and 2-year OS was 79 and 61%, respectively. A total of 443 courses were evaluable for toxicity: grade 3 and 4 neutropaenia affected 14 patients (20.3%) and 3 patients (4.3%), respectively. Grade 3 and 4 palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia syndrome was documented in five cases (7.2%) and one case (1.4%), whereas grade 3 and 4 mucositis occurred in six cases (8.7%) and two cases (2.9%), respectively. Grade 2 cardiac toxicity was observed in only one case. Interestingly enough, there was no difference in the percentage and severity of either haematological or non-haematological toxicity according to the age of the patients (

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1916-1921
Number of pages6
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
Volume98
Issue number12
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jun 17 2008

Fingerprint

gemcitabine
Breast Neoplasms
Therapeutics
Mucositis
Survival
liposomal doxorubicin

Keywords

  • Gemcitabine
  • Metastatic breast cancer
  • Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Cite this

Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin and gemcitabine in the front-line treatment of recurrent/metastatic breast cancer : A multicentre phase II study. / Adamo, V.; Lorusso, V.; Rossello, R.; Adamo, B.; Ferraro, G.; Lorusso, D.; Condemi, G.; Priolo, D.; Di Lullo, L.; Paglia, A.; Pisconti, S.; Scambia, G.; Ferrandina, G.

In: British Journal of Cancer, Vol. 98, No. 12, 17.06.2008, p. 1916-1921.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Adamo, V, Lorusso, V, Rossello, R, Adamo, B, Ferraro, G, Lorusso, D, Condemi, G, Priolo, D, Di Lullo, L, Paglia, A, Pisconti, S, Scambia, G & Ferrandina, G 2008, 'Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin and gemcitabine in the front-line treatment of recurrent/metastatic breast cancer: A multicentre phase II study', British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 12, pp. 1916-1921. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604409
Adamo, V. ; Lorusso, V. ; Rossello, R. ; Adamo, B. ; Ferraro, G. ; Lorusso, D. ; Condemi, G. ; Priolo, D. ; Di Lullo, L. ; Paglia, A. ; Pisconti, S. ; Scambia, G. ; Ferrandina, G. / Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin and gemcitabine in the front-line treatment of recurrent/metastatic breast cancer : A multicentre phase II study. In: British Journal of Cancer. 2008 ; Vol. 98, No. 12. pp. 1916-1921.
@article{df68eba56ca140449a62d12859bbcf5b,
title = "Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin and gemcitabine in the front-line treatment of recurrent/metastatic breast cancer: A multicentre phase II study",
abstract = "This multicentre phase II study was aimed at investigating the activity and safety of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD) and gemcitabine (GEM) as front-line therapy in a large series of chemotherapy-na{\"i}ve recurrent/metastatic breast cancer patients. From June 2003 to December 2006, a total of 71 recurrent/metastatic breast cancer patients were enrolled. Median age was 63 years (range=37-79), and 31 patients (43.7{\%}) were ≥65 years old. Patients received PLD, 25 mg m -2, day 1, followed by GEM, 800 mg m -2, days 1 and 8, q21. Response was evaluable in 64 cases. Eight complete (12.5{\%}) and 17 partial responses (26.6{\%}) were registered, with an overall response rate of 39.1{\%}. Thirty patients (46.9{\%}) experienced stable disease, with an overall clinical benefit of 85.9{\%}. Median time to progression (TTP) was 11 months, whereas median overall survival (OS) was not reached. The rate of 1- and 2-year OS was 79 and 61{\%}, respectively. A total of 443 courses were evaluable for toxicity: grade 3 and 4 neutropaenia affected 14 patients (20.3{\%}) and 3 patients (4.3{\%}), respectively. Grade 3 and 4 palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia syndrome was documented in five cases (7.2{\%}) and one case (1.4{\%}), whereas grade 3 and 4 mucositis occurred in six cases (8.7{\%}) and two cases (2.9{\%}), respectively. Grade 2 cardiac toxicity was observed in only one case. Interestingly enough, there was no difference in the percentage and severity of either haematological or non-haematological toxicity according to the age of the patients (",
keywords = "Gemcitabine, Metastatic breast cancer, Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin",
author = "V. Adamo and V. Lorusso and R. Rossello and B. Adamo and G. Ferraro and D. Lorusso and G. Condemi and D. Priolo and {Di Lullo}, L. and A. Paglia and S. Pisconti and G. Scambia and G. Ferrandina",
year = "2008",
month = "6",
day = "17",
doi = "10.1038/sj.bjc.6604409",
language = "English",
volume = "98",
pages = "1916--1921",
journal = "British Journal of Cancer",
issn = "0007-0920",
publisher = "Nature Publishing Group",
number = "12",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin and gemcitabine in the front-line treatment of recurrent/metastatic breast cancer

T2 - A multicentre phase II study

AU - Adamo, V.

AU - Lorusso, V.

AU - Rossello, R.

AU - Adamo, B.

AU - Ferraro, G.

AU - Lorusso, D.

AU - Condemi, G.

AU - Priolo, D.

AU - Di Lullo, L.

AU - Paglia, A.

AU - Pisconti, S.

AU - Scambia, G.

AU - Ferrandina, G.

PY - 2008/6/17

Y1 - 2008/6/17

N2 - This multicentre phase II study was aimed at investigating the activity and safety of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD) and gemcitabine (GEM) as front-line therapy in a large series of chemotherapy-naïve recurrent/metastatic breast cancer patients. From June 2003 to December 2006, a total of 71 recurrent/metastatic breast cancer patients were enrolled. Median age was 63 years (range=37-79), and 31 patients (43.7%) were ≥65 years old. Patients received PLD, 25 mg m -2, day 1, followed by GEM, 800 mg m -2, days 1 and 8, q21. Response was evaluable in 64 cases. Eight complete (12.5%) and 17 partial responses (26.6%) were registered, with an overall response rate of 39.1%. Thirty patients (46.9%) experienced stable disease, with an overall clinical benefit of 85.9%. Median time to progression (TTP) was 11 months, whereas median overall survival (OS) was not reached. The rate of 1- and 2-year OS was 79 and 61%, respectively. A total of 443 courses were evaluable for toxicity: grade 3 and 4 neutropaenia affected 14 patients (20.3%) and 3 patients (4.3%), respectively. Grade 3 and 4 palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia syndrome was documented in five cases (7.2%) and one case (1.4%), whereas grade 3 and 4 mucositis occurred in six cases (8.7%) and two cases (2.9%), respectively. Grade 2 cardiac toxicity was observed in only one case. Interestingly enough, there was no difference in the percentage and severity of either haematological or non-haematological toxicity according to the age of the patients (

AB - This multicentre phase II study was aimed at investigating the activity and safety of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD) and gemcitabine (GEM) as front-line therapy in a large series of chemotherapy-naïve recurrent/metastatic breast cancer patients. From June 2003 to December 2006, a total of 71 recurrent/metastatic breast cancer patients were enrolled. Median age was 63 years (range=37-79), and 31 patients (43.7%) were ≥65 years old. Patients received PLD, 25 mg m -2, day 1, followed by GEM, 800 mg m -2, days 1 and 8, q21. Response was evaluable in 64 cases. Eight complete (12.5%) and 17 partial responses (26.6%) were registered, with an overall response rate of 39.1%. Thirty patients (46.9%) experienced stable disease, with an overall clinical benefit of 85.9%. Median time to progression (TTP) was 11 months, whereas median overall survival (OS) was not reached. The rate of 1- and 2-year OS was 79 and 61%, respectively. A total of 443 courses were evaluable for toxicity: grade 3 and 4 neutropaenia affected 14 patients (20.3%) and 3 patients (4.3%), respectively. Grade 3 and 4 palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia syndrome was documented in five cases (7.2%) and one case (1.4%), whereas grade 3 and 4 mucositis occurred in six cases (8.7%) and two cases (2.9%), respectively. Grade 2 cardiac toxicity was observed in only one case. Interestingly enough, there was no difference in the percentage and severity of either haematological or non-haematological toxicity according to the age of the patients (

KW - Gemcitabine

KW - Metastatic breast cancer

KW - Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=44949259900&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=44949259900&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1038/sj.bjc.6604409

DO - 10.1038/sj.bjc.6604409

M3 - Article

VL - 98

SP - 1916

EP - 1921

JO - British Journal of Cancer

JF - British Journal of Cancer

SN - 0007-0920

IS - 12

ER -