Phase II study of vinorelbine with protracted fluorouracil infusion as a second- or third-line approach for advanced breast cancer patients previously treated with anthracyclines

Alfredo Berruti, Paola Sperone, Alberto Bottini, Gabriella Gorzegno, Vito Lorusso, Antonio Brunelli, Mario Botta, Marco Tampellini, Michela Donadio, Sergio Mancarella, Mario De Lena, Palmiro Alquati, Luigi Dogliotti

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Purpose: To evaluate the feasibility and activity of vinorelbine in association with protracted infusional fluorouracil in patients with advanced breast cancer who were previously treated with anthracycline-containing regimens. Patients and Methods: Eighty-three consecutive patients were entered onto the study. Forty-three patients experienced treatment failure or relapse after anthracycline-based, first-line chemotherapy for advanced disease and 29 experienced treatment failure or relapse after first- and second-line approaches; 11 patients experienced progressive disease within 6 months of completion of adjuvant anthracycline therapy. Sites of involvement were as follows: liver involvement, 42 patients (50.6%); lung 24 (28.9%); bone, 49 (59.0%); and skin/lymph nodes, 21 (25.3%). Treatment consisted of vinorelbine 30 mg/m2 administered on days 1 and 15 every 28 days and fluorouracil 200 mg/m2/d given continuously over a 24-hour period. Results: Toxicity was recorded for 441 cycles. The scheme was well tolerated: grade 1/2 nausea/vomiting occurred in 13 patients (15.6%), grade 1/2 diarrhea in nine (10.8%), and grade 2/3 stomatitis in six (7.2.%). Three patients (3.6%) experienced grade 3/4 leukopenia and four (4.8%) experienced grade 2/3 anemia. Grade 2/3 neurologic toxicity was observed in three cases (3.6%), and grade 2/3 hand-foot syndrome was observed in three (3.6%). The median relative dose-intensity was 92% and 100% for vinorelbine and fluorouracil, respectively. Six patients (7.2%) attained a complete clinical response and 45 (54.2%) attained a partial response, for an overall response rate of 61.4% (95% confidence interval 50.9% to 71.9%). Twenty-one patients (25.3%) obtained disease stabilization, and 11 (13.3%) experienced disease progression. Median time to progression in responding patients was 15 months; median overall survival of the entire population was 22 months. Conclusion: Vinorelbine associated with protracted infusional florouracil is an active and manageable scheme in advanced breast cancer patients previously treated with anthracyclines. The response obtained is durable. (C) 2000 by American Society of Clinical Oncology.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)3370-3377
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
Volume18
Issue number19
Publication statusPublished - Oct 1 2000

    Fingerprint

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Cite this

Berruti, A., Sperone, P., Bottini, A., Gorzegno, G., Lorusso, V., Brunelli, A., Botta, M., Tampellini, M., Donadio, M., Mancarella, S., De Lena, M., Alquati, P., & Dogliotti, L. (2000). Phase II study of vinorelbine with protracted fluorouracil infusion as a second- or third-line approach for advanced breast cancer patients previously treated with anthracyclines. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 18(19), 3370-3377.