Preliminary Experience Using a Covered Stent Graft in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke and Carotid Tandem Lesion

Carlos Piñana, Laura Ludovica Gramegna, Edgar Folleco, Manuel Requena, David Hernandez, Alejandro Tomasello Weitz

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Introduction: Endovascular treatment with a covered heparin-bonded stent graft has been shown to be feasible and safe for treatment of peripheral artery disease, but its role in carotid disease remains unclear. The purpose of this study was to determine the feasibility and safety of a covered stent graft in treating cervical carotid artery disease in a consecutive series of patients with acute ischemic stroke (AIS) due to tandem lesion in a single high-volume Comprehensive Stroke Center. Methods: A retrospective review of all patients that underwent carotid endovascular interventions during mechanical thrombectomy for AIS using a self-expanding covered stent graft at Vall d’Hebron University Hospital between 2016 and 2018 was conducted. Patient clinical and angiographical characteristics as well as postoperative outcome and follow-up were recorded. Results: A total of eight patients were treated with the covered stents, and we observed significant improvement in stroke severity at 24 h in 5/8 patients (mean NIHSS 18 ± 5 vs 12 ± 8, p = 0.02). Successful recanalization (TICI 2b-3) after thrombectomy was achieved in 5/8 (62.5%) patients. One stent occluded during the procedure. At 3-month follow-up, stents were patent in three (37.5%) patients (two with mRS 3 and one with mRS 1). The stents of the remaining four patients (62.5%) were occluded (one with mRS 2 and three with mRS 4), although the patients did not show signs of stroke recurrence. Conclusion: The preliminary results of our study show that the self-expanding covered stent graft did not achieve satisfactory patency at 90-days among patients with AIS and tandem lesions, suggesting that its use in the carotid circulation may not be recommended in the context of AIS.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1679-1686
Number of pages8
JournalCardioVascular and Interventional Radiology
Volume43
Issue number11
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Nov 1 2020

Keywords

  • Endovascular procedures
  • Ischemic stroke
  • Stenosis
  • Tandem lesions
  • Viabahn stent

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Preliminary Experience Using a Covered Stent Graft in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke and Carotid Tandem Lesion'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this