IL VALORE PROGNOSTICO DELLA PLOIDIA, DELL'INDICE PROLIFERATIVO E DEI RECETTORI PER L'EPIDERMAL GROWTH FACTOR NEL CANCRO DELLO STOMACO OPERATO. ANALISI DI 130 CASI

Translated title of the contribution: Prognostic relevance of ploidy, proliferative index and epidermal growth factors receptors of operated gastric cancer. Analysis of 130 cases

E. Santoro, G. Zupi, A. Vecchione, M. Carboni, M. Carlini, M. Catarci, D. Giannarelli, I. D'Agnano, R. Santoro, A. Garofalo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

DNA ploidy, proliferative index (PI) and EGF-R espression of 130 gastric adenocarcinomas submitted to surgical treatment during the last ten years, were evaluated and related to the usual prognostic variables, such as TNM, stage, grading and histology of the tumor. DNA ploidy and PI were obtained through flow cytometry whereas EGF-R was evaluated with immunostaining. Diploid tumors were observed in 52% of cases and aneuploid in the remaining 48%. Low PI was present in 58% and high PI in 42% of cases. EGF-R was expressed in 69% of cases. All the three biologic variables were significantly related to T and diameter, whereas no significant relation was detected for N, M, grading and Lauren's histological type. DNA ploidy was the most relevant biologic factor in conditioning the long-term survival of 68 cases with a follow-up longer than 5 years. Diploid cancer showed a better prognosis than aneuploid type at the same stage. Survival analysis, though not significant, disclosed a lower risk for cases with favourable pattern of all the three biologic factors evaluated.

Translated title of the contributionPrognostic relevance of ploidy, proliferative index and epidermal growth factors receptors of operated gastric cancer. Analysis of 130 cases
Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)325-334
Number of pages10
JournalChirurgia
Volume8
Issue number9-10
Publication statusPublished - 1995

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Prognostic relevance of ploidy, proliferative index and epidermal growth factors receptors of operated gastric cancer. Analysis of 130 cases'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Santoro, E., Zupi, G., Vecchione, A., Carboni, M., Carlini, M., Catarci, M., Giannarelli, D., D'Agnano, I., Santoro, R., & Garofalo, A. (1995). IL VALORE PROGNOSTICO DELLA PLOIDIA, DELL'INDICE PROLIFERATIVO E DEI RECETTORI PER L'EPIDERMAL GROWTH FACTOR NEL CANCRO DELLO STOMACO OPERATO. ANALISI DI 130 CASI. Chirurgia, 8(9-10), 325-334.