Prognostic Value of Resection Margins in Supracricoid Laryngectomy

Andrea Gallo, Valentina Manciocco, Maria Luisa Tropiano, Marilia Simonelli, Vincenzo Marvaso, Enzo D'Arcangelo, Marco De Vincentiis

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Objectives: The objective was to assess the prognostic value of surgical margin involvement in patients treated for squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx. Study Design: Retrospective study. Methods: A review was made of 253 patients treated with supracricoid laryngectomy between 1984 and 2001. A histopathological study on the surgical resection margins was performed in all cases. The incidence of local recurrence was correlated with the histological features of resection margins. Results: Forty patients (15.8%) were identified as having positive margins: 29 had invasive carcinoma and 11 had dysplastic lesions. The remaining 213 patients (84.2%) had negative margins. Subsequent follow-up showed that 19 of 253 patients developed local recurrence and 3 patients developed regional recurrence. Nine of these patients had positive resection margins (six with invasive carcinoma and three with dysplastic lesions), and 10 had negative resection margins. Overall survival at 3 years was significantly higher for patients without recurrence than for patients with local or regional failure (89.9% vs. 45.5% [P <.05]). Conclusion: According to results of the study, patients with positive resection margins developed local recurrence more frequently than those with clear resection margins (P <.05).

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)616-621
Number of pages6
JournalLaryngoscope
Volume114
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Apr 2004

Keywords

  • Laryngeal cancer
  • Laryngeal recurrences
  • Prognosis
  • Resection margins
  • Supracricoid laryngectomy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Otorhinolaryngology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Prognostic Value of Resection Margins in Supracricoid Laryngectomy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Gallo, A., Manciocco, V., Tropiano, M. L., Simonelli, M., Marvaso, V., D'Arcangelo, E., & De Vincentiis, M. (2004). Prognostic Value of Resection Margins in Supracricoid Laryngectomy. Laryngoscope, 114(4), 616-621. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005537-200404000-00005