Proliferative characteristics and ploidy of human brain tumors by DNA flow cytometry.

M. Danova, A. Riccardi, G. Mazzini, G. Ucci, C. M. Montecucco, P. Gaetani, V. Silvani, R. Knerich, G. Butti, E. Ascari

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

We studied nuclear DNA distribution by flow cytometry in 59 human brain tumors. Samples were frozen at -20 degrees C immediately after surgery and unicellular suspensions were obtained with a mechanical dissociation technique. Nuclear DNA was stained with propidium iodide. Normal human brain tissue was used as a diploid reference standard. In 86.3% of benign tumors an unimodal DNA distribution with a DNA index usually within the diploid range was found. Among malignant tumors, 64% had un unimodal DNA distribution with diploid or near-diploid modal DNA content. The remaining 36% showed an additional cell peak with a DNA index ranging from 1.15 to 1.92. The percentage of S-phase cells was higher in malignant (median = 3.8) than in benign tumors (median = 1.9) (p less than .001), without correlation to histological tumor subtype.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)175-180
Number of pages6
JournalBasic and Applied Histochemistry
Volume30
Issue number2
Publication statusPublished - 1986

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Anatomy

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Proliferative characteristics and ploidy of human brain tumors by DNA flow cytometry.'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this