Radical Prostatectomy in Men with Oligometastatic Prostate Cancer: Results of a Single-institution Series with Long-term Follow-up

G Gandaglia, Nicola Fossati, Armando Stabile, M Bandini, Patrizio Rigatti, F Montorsi, A Briganti

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

In the absence of data from randomized trials, the role of local treatment in metastatic prostate cancer (PCa) is gaining interest. Our study aimed to assess perioperative and long-term oncologic outcomes of radical prostatectomy (RP) in a selected cohort of 11 patients with oligometastatic disease treated with RP and extended pelvic lymph node dissection between 2006 and 2011. Oligometastatic disease was defined as the presence of five or fewer bone lesions at bone scan with or without suspicious pelvic or retroperitoneal nodal involvement at preoperative imaging. The minimum follow-up for survivors was 5 yr. Perioperative outcomes, clinical progression, and cancer-specific mortality (CSM) were evaluated. Median age was 72 yr. Median operative time, blood loss, and length of hospitalization were 170. min, 750. ml, and 13 d, respectively. Overall, two patients (18%) experienced grade 3 complications in the postoperative period, and eight (73%) received blood transfusions. Overall, 10 (91%) and 8 (73%) patients had lymph node invasion and positive surgical margins, respectively. Adjuvant androgen deprivation therapy was administered to 10 patients (91%). Median follow-up for survivors was 63 mo. The 7-yr clinical progression- and CSM-free survival rates were 45% and 82%, respectively. Our findings support the safety and effectiveness of RP in a highly selected cohort of PCa patients with bone metastases and long-term follow-up. Patient summary: We evaluated the outcomes of patients with oligometastatic prostate cancer treated with radical prostatectomy with a minimum of 5-yr follow-up. This surgical procedure performed with a multimodal approach might represent a safe and feasible option in selected men and provide acceptable oncologic outcomes at long-term follow-up. Radical prostatectomy might represent a safe and feasible option in selected men with oligometastatic prostate cancer and might provide acceptable oncologic outcomes at long-term follow-up. © 2016.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)289-292
Number of pages4
JournalEuropean Urology
Volume72
Issue number2
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2017

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Radical Prostatectomy in Men with Oligometastatic Prostate Cancer: Results of a Single-institution Series with Long-term Follow-up'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this