Radical Surgery in Advanced Cervical Cancer Patients Receiving Bevacizumab-Containing Chemotherapy: A "Real Life Experience"

Anna Fagotti, Carmine Conte, Francesca Stollagli, Valerio Gallotta, Vanda Salutari, Carolina Bottoni, Matteo Bruno, Gian Franco Zannoni, Giovanni Scambia

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Platinum-based chemotherapy plus bevacizumab is the new standard of care in stage IVB cervical cancer (CC) patients. In this new scenario, radical surgery could be offered in selected cases with an optimal clinical response. Potential surgical complications related to previous bevacizumab treatment have never been described before in this type of setting.

METHODS: This is a single-institutional retrospective study on women with CC who received radical pelvic surgery after platinum-based chemotherapy (platinum-taxol) plus bevacizumab.

RESULTS: Between April 2016 and September 2017, 15 patients with CC underwent radical surgery after bevacizumab-containing chemotherapy (platinum-taxol) at the Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart in Rome, Italy.All patients received at least 3 cycles of treatment. Fourteen (93.4%) patients underwent radical hysterectomy, whereas 1 patient received pelvic anterior exenteration. Median operating time was 290 minutes (range, 220-400), and estimated blood loss was 250 mL (range, 50-1500). Median time of hospitalization was 5 days (range, 2-21). Pathological response in the cervix was complete in 3 cases and microscopic in 1 patient (26.7%). Intraoperative complications occurred in 3 cases: 2 vascular injuries and 1 ureteral injury. Three patients (20.0% of the whole series) experienced grade 3 complications.At last follow-up (median time, 9 months), the median overall survival is 13 months (range, 6-31): 7 (46.7%) women were free of disease, 8 (53.3%) patients progressed, and 3 of them died of disease.

CONCLUSIONS: Radical surgery can be performed in women with CC previously treated with a bevacizumab-containing regimen.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1569-1575
Number of pages7
JournalInternational journal of gynecological cancer : official journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society
Volume28
Issue number8
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Oct 1 2018

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Obstetrics and Gynaecology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Radical Surgery in Advanced Cervical Cancer Patients Receiving Bevacizumab-Containing Chemotherapy: A "Real Life Experience"'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this