Studio con "real-time compound sonography" del tendine d'Achille in pazienti con ipercolesterolemia familiare eterozigotica ed esame clinico negative

Translated title of the contribution: Real-time spatial compound sonography of Achilles tendon in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia and normal physical examination

T. V. Bartolotta, A. Taibbi, G. Malizia, G. Mamone, C. Barbagallo, M. Midiri, R. Lagalla

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

5 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Purpose. This study was undertaken to assess the prevalence and ultrasound features of Achilles tendon xanthomas (ATX) in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia (HFH) and normal physical examination studied with high-resolution ultrasonography (HRUS) and, secondarily, to evaluate the role of real-time spatial compound sonography (CS) in terms of image quality. Materials and methods. Both Achilles tendons of 40 patients with HFH were studied with HRUS and CS. Two experienced radiologists evaluated by consensus the presence of ATX described as (1) tendon thickening and/or (2) focal hypoechoic areas and the quality of images obtained with the two techniques. Results. Ten out of 80 tendons showed thickening (mean: 11.2 mm). Twelve xanthomas 4.1-9.8 mm were identified in 9/80 tendons of five patients. In 5/80 tendons, both tendon thickening and focal hypoechoic areas were observed. There was no difference in the number of xanthomas detected at conventional US or CS. With respect to image quality, the performance of CS was considered significantly higher than HRUS in 72/80 (90%) cases and equal to HRUS in the remaining 8/80 (10%) (p

Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)562-571
Number of pages10
JournalRadiologia Medica
Volume112
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jun 2007

Fingerprint

Hyperlipoproteinemia Type II
Achilles Tendon
Physical Examination
Ultrasonography
Xanthomatosis
Tendons

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging

Cite this

Studio con "real-time compound sonography" del tendine d'Achille in pazienti con ipercolesterolemia familiare eterozigotica ed esame clinico negative. / Bartolotta, T. V.; Taibbi, A.; Malizia, G.; Mamone, G.; Barbagallo, C.; Midiri, M.; Lagalla, R.

In: Radiologia Medica, Vol. 112, No. 4, 06.2007, p. 562-571.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Bartolotta, T. V. ; Taibbi, A. ; Malizia, G. ; Mamone, G. ; Barbagallo, C. ; Midiri, M. ; Lagalla, R. / Studio con "real-time compound sonography" del tendine d'Achille in pazienti con ipercolesterolemia familiare eterozigotica ed esame clinico negative. In: Radiologia Medica. 2007 ; Vol. 112, No. 4. pp. 562-571.
@article{83e0a6024d734574bb7dee7752986818,
title = "Studio con {"}real-time compound sonography{"} del tendine d'Achille in pazienti con ipercolesterolemia familiare eterozigotica ed esame clinico negative",
abstract = "Purpose. This study was undertaken to assess the prevalence and ultrasound features of Achilles tendon xanthomas (ATX) in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia (HFH) and normal physical examination studied with high-resolution ultrasonography (HRUS) and, secondarily, to evaluate the role of real-time spatial compound sonography (CS) in terms of image quality. Materials and methods. Both Achilles tendons of 40 patients with HFH were studied with HRUS and CS. Two experienced radiologists evaluated by consensus the presence of ATX described as (1) tendon thickening and/or (2) focal hypoechoic areas and the quality of images obtained with the two techniques. Results. Ten out of 80 tendons showed thickening (mean: 11.2 mm). Twelve xanthomas 4.1-9.8 mm were identified in 9/80 tendons of five patients. In 5/80 tendons, both tendon thickening and focal hypoechoic areas were observed. There was no difference in the number of xanthomas detected at conventional US or CS. With respect to image quality, the performance of CS was considered significantly higher than HRUS in 72/80 (90{\%}) cases and equal to HRUS in the remaining 8/80 (10{\%}) (p",
keywords = "Achilles tendon, Familial hypercholesterolemia, Ultrasonography, Xanthomas",
author = "Bartolotta, {T. V.} and A. Taibbi and G. Malizia and G. Mamone and C. Barbagallo and M. Midiri and R. Lagalla",
year = "2007",
month = "6",
doi = "10.1007/s11547-007-0162-4",
language = "Italian",
volume = "112",
pages = "562--571",
journal = "Radiologia Medica",
issn = "0033-8362",
publisher = "Springer-Verlag Italia s.r.l.",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Studio con "real-time compound sonography" del tendine d'Achille in pazienti con ipercolesterolemia familiare eterozigotica ed esame clinico negative

AU - Bartolotta, T. V.

AU - Taibbi, A.

AU - Malizia, G.

AU - Mamone, G.

AU - Barbagallo, C.

AU - Midiri, M.

AU - Lagalla, R.

PY - 2007/6

Y1 - 2007/6

N2 - Purpose. This study was undertaken to assess the prevalence and ultrasound features of Achilles tendon xanthomas (ATX) in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia (HFH) and normal physical examination studied with high-resolution ultrasonography (HRUS) and, secondarily, to evaluate the role of real-time spatial compound sonography (CS) in terms of image quality. Materials and methods. Both Achilles tendons of 40 patients with HFH were studied with HRUS and CS. Two experienced radiologists evaluated by consensus the presence of ATX described as (1) tendon thickening and/or (2) focal hypoechoic areas and the quality of images obtained with the two techniques. Results. Ten out of 80 tendons showed thickening (mean: 11.2 mm). Twelve xanthomas 4.1-9.8 mm were identified in 9/80 tendons of five patients. In 5/80 tendons, both tendon thickening and focal hypoechoic areas were observed. There was no difference in the number of xanthomas detected at conventional US or CS. With respect to image quality, the performance of CS was considered significantly higher than HRUS in 72/80 (90%) cases and equal to HRUS in the remaining 8/80 (10%) (p

AB - Purpose. This study was undertaken to assess the prevalence and ultrasound features of Achilles tendon xanthomas (ATX) in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia (HFH) and normal physical examination studied with high-resolution ultrasonography (HRUS) and, secondarily, to evaluate the role of real-time spatial compound sonography (CS) in terms of image quality. Materials and methods. Both Achilles tendons of 40 patients with HFH were studied with HRUS and CS. Two experienced radiologists evaluated by consensus the presence of ATX described as (1) tendon thickening and/or (2) focal hypoechoic areas and the quality of images obtained with the two techniques. Results. Ten out of 80 tendons showed thickening (mean: 11.2 mm). Twelve xanthomas 4.1-9.8 mm were identified in 9/80 tendons of five patients. In 5/80 tendons, both tendon thickening and focal hypoechoic areas were observed. There was no difference in the number of xanthomas detected at conventional US or CS. With respect to image quality, the performance of CS was considered significantly higher than HRUS in 72/80 (90%) cases and equal to HRUS in the remaining 8/80 (10%) (p

KW - Achilles tendon

KW - Familial hypercholesterolemia

KW - Ultrasonography

KW - Xanthomas

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=34447121894&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=34447121894&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s11547-007-0162-4

DO - 10.1007/s11547-007-0162-4

M3 - Articolo

C2 - 17563848

AN - SCOPUS:34447121894

VL - 112

SP - 562

EP - 571

JO - Radiologia Medica

JF - Radiologia Medica

SN - 0033-8362

IS - 4

ER -