Recurrence of ovarian endometrioma after laparoscopic excision

M. Busacca, R. Marana, P. Caruana, M. Candiani, L. Muzii, C. Calia, S. Bianchi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Our purpose was to evaluate the recurrence rate after laparoscopic excision of ovarian endometrioma. STUDY DESIGN: An unrandomized prospective clinical study was performed at 2 tertiary-care centers of 366 patients who had a minimum of 6 months of postoperative follow-up or 6 months after the suspension of medical therapy after laparoscopic ovarian endometrioma excision. Patients underwent clinical examination and vaginal ultrasonography 3, 6, and 12 months after surgery and subsequently at least once a year. We evaluated the cumulative recurrence rate of pain and clinical findings of ovarian endometrioma, the rate of repeated surgery, and the recovery of fertility. RESULTS: During follow-up we observed ultrasonographic recurrence in 26 (7.1%) cases; surgery was repeated in 12 (3.3%) cases. The cumulative rate of ultrasonographic recurrence over 48 months was 11.7%, whereas the Cumulative rate of a second surgery was 8.2%. Ultrasonographic cyst recurrence was associated with pain recurrence in 73% of cases, whereas in the remaining 27% the recurrence was asymptomatic. Significant factors related to recurrence of endometriomas would appear to be the stage of disease (P = .03) and previous surgery for endometriosis (P= .003). Eighty- five (23.2%) women conceived during follow-up. CONCLUSIONS: Laparoscopic treatment of endometriomas seems to be both effective and reliable. The rate of recurrence appears to be correlated to the duration of follow-up. Stage IV disease and previous surgery for endometriosis are unfavorable prognostic factors.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)519-523
Number of pages5
JournalAmerican Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Volume180
Issue number3 I
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1999

Keywords

  • Cyst
  • Endometrioma
  • Infertility
  • Laparoscopy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)
  • Obstetrics and Gynaecology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Recurrence of ovarian endometrioma after laparoscopic excision'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this