Reproductive performance, pain recurrence and disease relapse after conservative surgical treatment for endometriosis: The predictive value of the current classification system

Paolo Vercellini, Luigi Fedele, Giorgio Aimi, Olga De Giorgi, Dario Consonni, Pier Giorgio Crosignani

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Backgound: To assess the predictive value of the current classification of endometriosis in terms of response to surgical treatment, we studied to what extent disease stage, lesion type and lesion site were associated with post-operative pregnancy rate, symptom recurrence and disease relapse. Methods: A total of 729 women with endometriosis under going first-line conservative laparoscopic surgery were included. Data on age at surgery, disease stage according to the revised American Fertility Society (AFS) classification, anatomical characteristics of endometriotic lesions, fertility status and types and severity of pain symptoms were collected. Results: Minimal endometriosis was present in 222 patients, mild in 106, moderate in 197 and severe in 204. The cumulative probability of pregnancy at 3 years from surgery in 537 infertile women was 47% (51% at stage I, 45% at stage II, 46% at stage III and 44% at stage IV; log-rank test, χ 2 3 = 1.50, P = 0.68). The cumulative probability of moderate or severe dysmenorrhoea recurrence in 425 symptomatic subjects was 24% (32% at stage I, 24% at stage II, 21% at stage III and 19% at stage IV; log-rank test, χ 2 3 = 6.39, P = 0.094). The cumulative probability of disease relapse was 12% (3% at stage I, 11% at stage II, 11% at stage III and 23% at stage IV; log-rank test, χ 2 3 = 24.95, P = 0.0001). Using Cox's multivariate proportional hazards regression analysis, no association was observed between endometriosis stage or lesion type and lesion site and any of the considered study outcomes. Conclusions: The current classification of endometriosis has an inadequate predictive value with regard to the major clinical outcomes.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2679-2685
Number of pages7
JournalHuman Reproduction
Volume21
Issue number10
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Oct 2006

Keywords

  • Classification
  • Endometriosis
  • Infertility
  • Pelvic pain
  • Recurrence

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Physiology
  • Developmental Biology
  • Obstetrics and Gynaecology
  • Reproductive Medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Reproductive performance, pain recurrence and disease relapse after conservative surgical treatment for endometriosis: The predictive value of the current classification system'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this