In the last year, many studies have demonstrated a potential role of Helicobacter pylori in the pathogenic mechanisms of different extragastric diseases. While the role of H pylori in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, idiopathic iron deficiency anemia, and vitamin B12 deficiency has already been demonstrated, there is growing evidence of other related conditions, especially cardiovascular, metabolic, and neurologic disorders, including neurodegenerative diseases. A summary of the results of the most relevant studies published over the last year on this attractive topic is presented in this review.
- Cardiovascular Diseases/etiology
- Helicobacter Infections/pathology
- Helicobacter pylori/isolation & purification
- Metabolic Diseases/etiology
- Nervous System Diseases/etiology