Caratterizzazione scintigrafica delle lesioni espansive a sede surrenalica. Confronto con l'imaging a Risonanza Magnetica.

Translated title of the contribution: Scintigraphic characterization of expansive lesions located in the adrenals. Comparison with magnetic resonance imaging

S. Maurea, M. Klain, S. Lastoria, C. Caracò, L. Castelli, P. Varrella, S. Filice, R. Rossi, M. Salvatore

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

In this study, 35 patients (11 men and 24 women, mean age 47 +/- 16 years) with unilateral adrenal masses underwent nor-cholesterol (nor-Chol) (n = 11), metaiodobenzylguanidine (MIBG) (n = 15) or nor-Chol and MIBG (n = 9) radionuclide studies. In all patients Magnetic Resonance (MR) adrenal imaging was also performed. In 19 (54%) patients, no laboratory abnormalities of adrenal function were observed. In the other 16 (46%) patients, adrenal hyperfunction was found. In 21 lesions, histology showed 10 pheochromocytomas (Pheos), 6 adenomas, 3 metastases, 1 cyst and 1 nodular focal liver hyperplasia. In the remaining 14 lesions, increased cortisol (n = 4) or aldosterone (n = 2) levels and/or intense nor-Chol uptake (n = 14) were considered suggestive of adenoma. Diagnostic accuracy of both nor-Chol and MIBG radionuclide studies in correctly identifying adenoma or Pheos was 100%. Conversely, qualitative MR signal intensity (SI) analysis on T2-weighted images did not allow to accurately distinguish lesions of different nature. In particular, 10 Pheos, 8 adenomas, 3 mestastasis and 1 cyst clearly showed on T2-weighted images higher SI than the liver; 5 adenomas had a slight higher SI; the remaining lesions (7 adenomas and 1 liver hyperplasia) exhibited low SI. In conclusion, adrenal scintigraphy using nor-Chol or MIBG allows to identify adenomas and Pheos, respectively. Conversely, qualitative MR SI analysis cannot differentiate different adrenal lesion (Pheos, adenoma, metastasis and cyst) and yields heterogeneous results in adenomas.

Translated title of the contributionScintigraphic characterization of expansive lesions located in the adrenals. Comparison with magnetic resonance imaging
Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)756-765
Number of pages10
JournalRadiologia Medica
Volume90
Issue number6
Publication statusPublished - Dec 1995

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Scintigraphic characterization of expansive lesions located in the adrenals. Comparison with magnetic resonance imaging'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this