Sequential docetaxel followed by epirubicin-vinorelbine as first-line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer

Patrizia Vici, Paolo Foggi, Giuseppe Colucci, Elisabetta Capomolla, Mario Brandi, Francesco Giotta, Nicola Gebbia, Luigi Di Lauro, Maria Rosaria Valerio, Giancarlo Paoletti, Franca Belli, Carmine Pizza, Diana Giannarelli, Massimo Lopez

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: This phase II study evaluated the efficacy and the tolerability of a sequential regimen of docetaxel followed by epirubicin-vinorelbine combination as first-line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer. Patients and Methods: Twenty-seven patients received docetaxel 100 mg/m2 (4 cycles) followed by 4 cycles of epirubicin 90 mg/m2 (day 1) combined with vinorelbine 25 mg/m2 (days 1 and 5), with cycles repeated every 3 weeks. G-CSF was administered during epirubicin-vinorelbine treatment. Results: There were 1 (3.7%) CR and 14 (51.9%) PR, for an overall response rate of 55.6% (95% CI, 36.9%-74.3%). Median time to response, time to progression and overall survival were 2, 9 and 25 months, respectively. The dose-limiting toxicity was neutropenia (grade 3 to 4 in 85% of the patients). There was one toxic death due to neutropenic fever. Gastrointestinal side-effects were generally mild. According to the Simon two-stage design the response rate was considered unsatisfactory and patient accrual was terminated. Conclusion: This sequential regimen appears to be moderately effective; possibly, a modulation of the treatment based on objective responses instead of a fixed number of cycles may be more appropriate in order to obtain better results.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1309-1314
Number of pages6
JournalAnticancer Research
Volume25
Issue number2 B
Publication statusPublished - Mar 2005

Fingerprint

docetaxel
Epirubicin
Breast Neoplasms
Drug Therapy
Poisons
Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor
Neutropenia
Reaction Time
Fever
Survival
vinorelbine
Therapeutics

Keywords

  • Advanced breast cancer
  • Docetaxel
  • Epirubicin
  • Sequential chemotherapy
  • Vinorelbine

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Cite this

Vici, P., Foggi, P., Colucci, G., Capomolla, E., Brandi, M., Giotta, F., ... Lopez, M. (2005). Sequential docetaxel followed by epirubicin-vinorelbine as first-line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer. Anticancer Research, 25(2 B), 1309-1314.

Sequential docetaxel followed by epirubicin-vinorelbine as first-line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer. / Vici, Patrizia; Foggi, Paolo; Colucci, Giuseppe; Capomolla, Elisabetta; Brandi, Mario; Giotta, Francesco; Gebbia, Nicola; Di Lauro, Luigi; Valerio, Maria Rosaria; Paoletti, Giancarlo; Belli, Franca; Pizza, Carmine; Giannarelli, Diana; Lopez, Massimo.

In: Anticancer Research, Vol. 25, No. 2 B, 03.2005, p. 1309-1314.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Vici, P, Foggi, P, Colucci, G, Capomolla, E, Brandi, M, Giotta, F, Gebbia, N, Di Lauro, L, Valerio, MR, Paoletti, G, Belli, F, Pizza, C, Giannarelli, D & Lopez, M 2005, 'Sequential docetaxel followed by epirubicin-vinorelbine as first-line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer', Anticancer Research, vol. 25, no. 2 B, pp. 1309-1314.
Vici, Patrizia ; Foggi, Paolo ; Colucci, Giuseppe ; Capomolla, Elisabetta ; Brandi, Mario ; Giotta, Francesco ; Gebbia, Nicola ; Di Lauro, Luigi ; Valerio, Maria Rosaria ; Paoletti, Giancarlo ; Belli, Franca ; Pizza, Carmine ; Giannarelli, Diana ; Lopez, Massimo. / Sequential docetaxel followed by epirubicin-vinorelbine as first-line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer. In: Anticancer Research. 2005 ; Vol. 25, No. 2 B. pp. 1309-1314.
@article{ed7764870352440483311694aaa5c8d5,
title = "Sequential docetaxel followed by epirubicin-vinorelbine as first-line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer",
abstract = "Background: This phase II study evaluated the efficacy and the tolerability of a sequential regimen of docetaxel followed by epirubicin-vinorelbine combination as first-line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer. Patients and Methods: Twenty-seven patients received docetaxel 100 mg/m2 (4 cycles) followed by 4 cycles of epirubicin 90 mg/m2 (day 1) combined with vinorelbine 25 mg/m2 (days 1 and 5), with cycles repeated every 3 weeks. G-CSF was administered during epirubicin-vinorelbine treatment. Results: There were 1 (3.7{\%}) CR and 14 (51.9{\%}) PR, for an overall response rate of 55.6{\%} (95{\%} CI, 36.9{\%}-74.3{\%}). Median time to response, time to progression and overall survival were 2, 9 and 25 months, respectively. The dose-limiting toxicity was neutropenia (grade 3 to 4 in 85{\%} of the patients). There was one toxic death due to neutropenic fever. Gastrointestinal side-effects were generally mild. According to the Simon two-stage design the response rate was considered unsatisfactory and patient accrual was terminated. Conclusion: This sequential regimen appears to be moderately effective; possibly, a modulation of the treatment based on objective responses instead of a fixed number of cycles may be more appropriate in order to obtain better results.",
keywords = "Advanced breast cancer, Docetaxel, Epirubicin, Sequential chemotherapy, Vinorelbine",
author = "Patrizia Vici and Paolo Foggi and Giuseppe Colucci and Elisabetta Capomolla and Mario Brandi and Francesco Giotta and Nicola Gebbia and {Di Lauro}, Luigi and Valerio, {Maria Rosaria} and Giancarlo Paoletti and Franca Belli and Carmine Pizza and Diana Giannarelli and Massimo Lopez",
year = "2005",
month = "3",
language = "English",
volume = "25",
pages = "1309--1314",
journal = "Anticancer Research",
issn = "0250-7005",
publisher = "International Institute of Anticancer Research",
number = "2 B",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Sequential docetaxel followed by epirubicin-vinorelbine as first-line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer

AU - Vici, Patrizia

AU - Foggi, Paolo

AU - Colucci, Giuseppe

AU - Capomolla, Elisabetta

AU - Brandi, Mario

AU - Giotta, Francesco

AU - Gebbia, Nicola

AU - Di Lauro, Luigi

AU - Valerio, Maria Rosaria

AU - Paoletti, Giancarlo

AU - Belli, Franca

AU - Pizza, Carmine

AU - Giannarelli, Diana

AU - Lopez, Massimo

PY - 2005/3

Y1 - 2005/3

N2 - Background: This phase II study evaluated the efficacy and the tolerability of a sequential regimen of docetaxel followed by epirubicin-vinorelbine combination as first-line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer. Patients and Methods: Twenty-seven patients received docetaxel 100 mg/m2 (4 cycles) followed by 4 cycles of epirubicin 90 mg/m2 (day 1) combined with vinorelbine 25 mg/m2 (days 1 and 5), with cycles repeated every 3 weeks. G-CSF was administered during epirubicin-vinorelbine treatment. Results: There were 1 (3.7%) CR and 14 (51.9%) PR, for an overall response rate of 55.6% (95% CI, 36.9%-74.3%). Median time to response, time to progression and overall survival were 2, 9 and 25 months, respectively. The dose-limiting toxicity was neutropenia (grade 3 to 4 in 85% of the patients). There was one toxic death due to neutropenic fever. Gastrointestinal side-effects were generally mild. According to the Simon two-stage design the response rate was considered unsatisfactory and patient accrual was terminated. Conclusion: This sequential regimen appears to be moderately effective; possibly, a modulation of the treatment based on objective responses instead of a fixed number of cycles may be more appropriate in order to obtain better results.

AB - Background: This phase II study evaluated the efficacy and the tolerability of a sequential regimen of docetaxel followed by epirubicin-vinorelbine combination as first-line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer. Patients and Methods: Twenty-seven patients received docetaxel 100 mg/m2 (4 cycles) followed by 4 cycles of epirubicin 90 mg/m2 (day 1) combined with vinorelbine 25 mg/m2 (days 1 and 5), with cycles repeated every 3 weeks. G-CSF was administered during epirubicin-vinorelbine treatment. Results: There were 1 (3.7%) CR and 14 (51.9%) PR, for an overall response rate of 55.6% (95% CI, 36.9%-74.3%). Median time to response, time to progression and overall survival were 2, 9 and 25 months, respectively. The dose-limiting toxicity was neutropenia (grade 3 to 4 in 85% of the patients). There was one toxic death due to neutropenic fever. Gastrointestinal side-effects were generally mild. According to the Simon two-stage design the response rate was considered unsatisfactory and patient accrual was terminated. Conclusion: This sequential regimen appears to be moderately effective; possibly, a modulation of the treatment based on objective responses instead of a fixed number of cycles may be more appropriate in order to obtain better results.

KW - Advanced breast cancer

KW - Docetaxel

KW - Epirubicin

KW - Sequential chemotherapy

KW - Vinorelbine

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=20244387298&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=20244387298&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 15865083

AN - SCOPUS:20244387298

VL - 25

SP - 1309

EP - 1314

JO - Anticancer Research

JF - Anticancer Research

SN - 0250-7005

IS - 2 B

ER -