Short-term changes in posterior vitreous cortex following intravitreal ocriplasmin for symptomatic vitreomacular traction syndrome: a prospective study

Andrea Cacciamani, Roberto Gattegna, Marco Pileri, Marta Di Nicola, Sara Bardanzellu, Giuliana Facciolo, Pamela Cosimi, Andrea Govetto, Fabio Scarinci

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Purpose: To describe and analyze short-term posterior vitreous abnormalities following intravitreal ocriplasmin in eyes with symptomatic vitreomacular traction syndrome (VMT). Methods: In this institutional, prospective and interventional study enrolled patients with symptomatic focal VMT syndrome treated with intravitreal ocriplasmin. In all cases, spectral-domain optical coherence tomography scans were quantitatively and qualitatively analyzed preoperatively and at 1 and 4 weeks postoperatively. Results: Twenty-three patients, of which 5 were males and 18 females, with a mean age of 69.5 ± 8.2 years were included in this study. Postoperatively, VMT resolved in 11 of 23 eyes (47.8%). In 9 out of 11 cases (81.8%), VMT resolved by postoperative week 1, whether in the remaining 2 (18.2%) anatomical restoration, was diagnosed at postoperative week 4. At postoperative week 1, a foveolar detachment was detected in 9 out of 23 eyes (39.1%). The foveolar detachment resolved all but one eye by the end of postoperative week 4. At the end of the follow-up period, the presence of subretinal fluid was detected in 7 out of 9 eyes (77.8%), and it was significantly associated with a shrinkage of the posterior vitreous cortex (p < 0.006). At the end of the follow-up period, visual acuity was significantly higher in those eyes with VMT resolution (p < 0.001). Conclusion: Intravitreal ocriplasmin is effective for the treatment of patients with VMT. The postoperative presence of posterior hyaloid shrinkage may be associated with higher traction over the foveal area and the appearance of foveolar detachment.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)185-193
Number of pages9
JournalInternational Ophthalmology
Volume40
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusE-pub ahead of print - Sep 29 2019

Keywords

  • Intravitreal injection
  • Ocriplasmin
  • Subretinal fluid
  • Vitreomacular traction syndrome

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Ophthalmology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Short-term changes in posterior vitreous cortex following intravitreal ocriplasmin for symptomatic vitreomacular traction syndrome: a prospective study'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this