Significance of full nocturnal erections with short duration

F. Montorsi, L. Ferini-Strambi, G. Guazzoni, M. Zucconi, S. Mirne, P. Rigatti, G. Pizzini, A. Miani

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The aim of the study was to clarify the pathophysiologic significance of full but short-lived nocturnal erections observed in some impotent men. Penile circulation was assessed by color Doppler sonography and pharmacocavernosometry in 35 impotent patients who underwent polysomnographic recording of nocturnal erections. In each case, there were at least 3 erectile episodes with a complete rigidity (always > 700 g) but with a short duration (mean duration of the maximum level of full erection = 4 min; always <6 min). All patients demonstrated a normal arterial inflow with mean ± SEM right and left cavernosal peak flow velocities of 39.5 ± 1.8 and 41.3 ± 1.5 cm/s, respectively. Pharmacocavernosometry detected a dysfunction of the cavernous veno-occlusive mechanism (mean ± SEM maintenance flow: 45 ± 8 ml/min and mean ± SEM corporal pressure decay over 30 s: 82.5 ± 9 mm Hg) in 18 patients (51%). In these patients, this finding may be a possible explanation for the short duration of nocturnal erectile episodes. In the remaining 17 patients (49%) with normal penile vascular status, a dysfunction of the adrenergic system could play a role in the pathophysiology of this picture. Full but short-lived nocturnal erections, as assessed by polysomnographic recording, are indicative of a normal arterial status and should encourage further assessment of the corporal veno-occlusive mechanism.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)25-28
Number of pages4
JournalEuropean Urology
Volume25
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 1993

Fingerprint

Doppler Color Ultrasonography
Adrenergic Agents
Blood Vessels
Maintenance
Pressure

Keywords

  • Cavernosometry
  • Impotence
  • Nocturnal penile tumescence
  • Ultrasonics

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Urology

Cite this

Significance of full nocturnal erections with short duration. / Montorsi, F.; Ferini-Strambi, L.; Guazzoni, G.; Zucconi, M.; Mirne, S.; Rigatti, P.; Pizzini, G.; Miani, A.

In: European Urology, Vol. 25, No. 1, 1993, p. 25-28.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Montorsi, F, Ferini-Strambi, L, Guazzoni, G, Zucconi, M, Mirne, S, Rigatti, P, Pizzini, G & Miani, A 1993, 'Significance of full nocturnal erections with short duration', European Urology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 25-28.
Montorsi, F. ; Ferini-Strambi, L. ; Guazzoni, G. ; Zucconi, M. ; Mirne, S. ; Rigatti, P. ; Pizzini, G. ; Miani, A. / Significance of full nocturnal erections with short duration. In: European Urology. 1993 ; Vol. 25, No. 1. pp. 25-28.
@article{694f325ff6724968993a9a8f6e3fc87d,
title = "Significance of full nocturnal erections with short duration",
abstract = "The aim of the study was to clarify the pathophysiologic significance of full but short-lived nocturnal erections observed in some impotent men. Penile circulation was assessed by color Doppler sonography and pharmacocavernosometry in 35 impotent patients who underwent polysomnographic recording of nocturnal erections. In each case, there were at least 3 erectile episodes with a complete rigidity (always > 700 g) but with a short duration (mean duration of the maximum level of full erection = 4 min; always <6 min). All patients demonstrated a normal arterial inflow with mean ± SEM right and left cavernosal peak flow velocities of 39.5 ± 1.8 and 41.3 ± 1.5 cm/s, respectively. Pharmacocavernosometry detected a dysfunction of the cavernous veno-occlusive mechanism (mean ± SEM maintenance flow: 45 ± 8 ml/min and mean ± SEM corporal pressure decay over 30 s: 82.5 ± 9 mm Hg) in 18 patients (51{\%}). In these patients, this finding may be a possible explanation for the short duration of nocturnal erectile episodes. In the remaining 17 patients (49{\%}) with normal penile vascular status, a dysfunction of the adrenergic system could play a role in the pathophysiology of this picture. Full but short-lived nocturnal erections, as assessed by polysomnographic recording, are indicative of a normal arterial status and should encourage further assessment of the corporal veno-occlusive mechanism.",
keywords = "Cavernosometry, Impotence, Nocturnal penile tumescence, Ultrasonics",
author = "F. Montorsi and L. Ferini-Strambi and G. Guazzoni and M. Zucconi and S. Mirne and P. Rigatti and G. Pizzini and A. Miani",
year = "1993",
language = "English",
volume = "25",
pages = "25--28",
journal = "European Urology",
issn = "0302-2838",
publisher = "Elsevier B.V.",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Significance of full nocturnal erections with short duration

AU - Montorsi, F.

AU - Ferini-Strambi, L.

AU - Guazzoni, G.

AU - Zucconi, M.

AU - Mirne, S.

AU - Rigatti, P.

AU - Pizzini, G.

AU - Miani, A.

PY - 1993

Y1 - 1993

N2 - The aim of the study was to clarify the pathophysiologic significance of full but short-lived nocturnal erections observed in some impotent men. Penile circulation was assessed by color Doppler sonography and pharmacocavernosometry in 35 impotent patients who underwent polysomnographic recording of nocturnal erections. In each case, there were at least 3 erectile episodes with a complete rigidity (always > 700 g) but with a short duration (mean duration of the maximum level of full erection = 4 min; always <6 min). All patients demonstrated a normal arterial inflow with mean ± SEM right and left cavernosal peak flow velocities of 39.5 ± 1.8 and 41.3 ± 1.5 cm/s, respectively. Pharmacocavernosometry detected a dysfunction of the cavernous veno-occlusive mechanism (mean ± SEM maintenance flow: 45 ± 8 ml/min and mean ± SEM corporal pressure decay over 30 s: 82.5 ± 9 mm Hg) in 18 patients (51%). In these patients, this finding may be a possible explanation for the short duration of nocturnal erectile episodes. In the remaining 17 patients (49%) with normal penile vascular status, a dysfunction of the adrenergic system could play a role in the pathophysiology of this picture. Full but short-lived nocturnal erections, as assessed by polysomnographic recording, are indicative of a normal arterial status and should encourage further assessment of the corporal veno-occlusive mechanism.

AB - The aim of the study was to clarify the pathophysiologic significance of full but short-lived nocturnal erections observed in some impotent men. Penile circulation was assessed by color Doppler sonography and pharmacocavernosometry in 35 impotent patients who underwent polysomnographic recording of nocturnal erections. In each case, there were at least 3 erectile episodes with a complete rigidity (always > 700 g) but with a short duration (mean duration of the maximum level of full erection = 4 min; always <6 min). All patients demonstrated a normal arterial inflow with mean ± SEM right and left cavernosal peak flow velocities of 39.5 ± 1.8 and 41.3 ± 1.5 cm/s, respectively. Pharmacocavernosometry detected a dysfunction of the cavernous veno-occlusive mechanism (mean ± SEM maintenance flow: 45 ± 8 ml/min and mean ± SEM corporal pressure decay over 30 s: 82.5 ± 9 mm Hg) in 18 patients (51%). In these patients, this finding may be a possible explanation for the short duration of nocturnal erectile episodes. In the remaining 17 patients (49%) with normal penile vascular status, a dysfunction of the adrenergic system could play a role in the pathophysiology of this picture. Full but short-lived nocturnal erections, as assessed by polysomnographic recording, are indicative of a normal arterial status and should encourage further assessment of the corporal veno-occlusive mechanism.

KW - Cavernosometry

KW - Impotence

KW - Nocturnal penile tumescence

KW - Ultrasonics

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0027715102&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0027715102&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 8307072

AN - SCOPUS:0027715102

VL - 25

SP - 25

EP - 28

JO - European Urology

JF - European Urology

SN - 0302-2838

IS - 1

ER -