Infusione simultanea di vinorelbina e taxolo come chemioterapia di prima linea nel trattamento del carcinoma mammario metastatizzato

Translated title of the contribution: Simultaneous infusion of vinorelbine and paclitaxel as first line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer

P. Vici, F. Conti, A. Amodio, F. Belli, M. Della Giulia, S. Mariotti, T. Gionfra, M. Lopez

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Purpose: To evaluate the activity and toxicity of simultaneous infusion of vinorelbine (VNB) and paclitaxel (T) as first line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer patients (pts). Patients and Methods: 33 pts with histologically proven advanced breast cancer were treated with VNB 25 mg/m2 and T 150 mg/m2, both drugs given by i.v. infusion over 3 hours, with cycles repeated every 3 weeks. Granulocyte-colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF), 300 μg subcutaneously, was given on days 7 to 12 of each cycle in the first 10 patients. Results: From October 1995 to July 1996, 33 untreated pts entered the study. Characteristics of the pts were the following: median age 53 years (29-71); median WHO performance status I (0-3); pre/postmenopausal 8/25; prior adjuvant chemotherapy 16; prior radiotherapy 8; dominant disease sites: soft tissue in 6; bone in 7, viscera in 19; number of metastatic sites: 1 in 18, 2 in 9, 3 in 6 pts. In 31 evaluable pts we observed; 1 CR (3%) and 14 PR (45%), for an overall response rate of 48%. Median time to response was 2 months; median time to progression and median survival were 7 and 22+ months, respectively Median number of cycles were 6. Myelosuppression was the dose- limiting toxicity, with G 4 neutropenia occurring in 22% of the pts and neutropenic fever in 6% of the pts. Other toxicities were generally mild with nausea in 52% of the pts: mucositis in 15%; constipation in 12%; peripheral neuropathy in 46.5%. Alopecia was universal. Conclusions: Simultaneous infusion of VNB and T is well tolerated and active in untreated patients with advanced breast cancer. Median survival (22+ months) is similar to that reported with anthracycline-containing regimens, although response rate appears to be lower. It is likely that higher response rates may be achieved with a higher dose-intensity.

Translated title of the contributionSimultaneous infusion of vinorelbine and paclitaxel as first line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer
Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)255-259
Number of pages5
JournalClinica Terapeutica
Volume149
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - 1998

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Simultaneous infusion of vinorelbine and paclitaxel as first line chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this