We report a case of acquired small bowel volvulus as a cause of late obstruction after ileal J-pouch anal anastomosis. Computed tomography (CT) demonstrated signs of strangulated, adhesive obstruction with radial disposition of the loops around the mesenteric root and abnormal position of the superior mesenteric artery and vein on the right side of the aorta. These features were due to the surgical manipulation and tension of the mesentery and its vessels during ileoanal anastomosis.
- Familial polyposis, ileal pouch-anal anastomosis
- Ileal pouch-anal anastomosis, postoperative obstruction
- Small bowel obstruction, CT
- Small bowel, volvulus
- Superior mesenteric vessels, CT
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging