The prognosis and main prognostic indicators of Guillain-Barre syndrome. A multicentre prospective study of 297 patients

E. Beghi, A. Bono, G. Bogliun, F. Cornelio, N. Rizzuto, P. Tonali, D. Zerbi, C. Castelli, G. Ferrari, M. Marconi, P. Simone, F. Apollo, L. Amoruso, P. Crociani, M. Zarelli, C. Angelini, C. Briani, E. Fincati, R. Affuso, E. Bottacchi & 24 others C. Lia, L. Carenini, A. M. Veratti, G. Guastella, U. Canistra, P. Meineri, E. Grasso, G. Bargagli, M. Gresti, G. Cavaletti, P. Santoro, L. Marzorati, C. Antozzi, A. Belhni, M. Gentilini, C. Lunazzi, P. Sorgato, A. M. Fasanar, V. Pizza, M. T. Mignogna, M. Sabatelli, G. Lippi, A. Gomitoni, M. G. Lovaste

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

161 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

To assess the prognosis of the Guillain-Barre syndrome and identify, the main prognostic indicators, 297 patients with Guillain-Barre syndrome recruited through a network of Italian centres were followed up for 24 months or until clinical recovery whichever was earliest. For each patient the time to plateau, improvement, clinical recovery, or death was calculated, and prodnostic indicators (age, sex, antecedent events, disability at admission and nadir, electrophysiological patterns) and treatments were noted. The mean duration of follow-up was 309 days. During this period, 212 patients (71%) recovered, 48 (16%) had residual and 33 (11%) died. The mean times to nadir, improvement and clinical recovery were 12, 28 and 200 days. Using life-tables and survival curves, the cumulative probability of achieving the plateau of symptoms was 73% by 1 week and 98% by 4 weeks. Improvement started during the first week in 36% of cases and within 4 weeks in 85%. The rates of clinical recovery at 1 and 4 weeks, 6, 12 and 24 months were 4, 24, 57, 70 and 82%, respectively. The chance of recovery was significantly affected by age, antecedent gastroenteritis, disability electrophysiological signs of axonopathy, latency to nadir and duration of active disease. The main treatments did not seem to affect the chance of recovery.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2053-2061
Number of pages9
JournalBrain
Volume119
Issue number6
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1996

Fingerprint

Guillain-Barre Syndrome
Multicenter Studies
Prospective Studies
Life Tables
Gastroenteritis
Survival
Therapeutics

Keywords

  • Acute polyneuritis
  • Guillain-Barre syndrome
  • Prognosis
  • Prognostic factor

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Neuroscience(all)

Cite this

The prognosis and main prognostic indicators of Guillain-Barre syndrome. A multicentre prospective study of 297 patients. / Beghi, E.; Bono, A.; Bogliun, G.; Cornelio, F.; Rizzuto, N.; Tonali, P.; Zerbi, D.; Castelli, C.; Ferrari, G.; Marconi, M.; Simone, P.; Apollo, F.; Amoruso, L.; Crociani, P.; Zarelli, M.; Angelini, C.; Briani, C.; Fincati, E.; Affuso, R.; Bottacchi, E.; Lia, C.; Carenini, L.; Veratti, A. M.; Guastella, G.; Canistra, U.; Meineri, P.; Grasso, E.; Bargagli, G.; Gresti, M.; Cavaletti, G.; Santoro, P.; Marzorati, L.; Antozzi, C.; Belhni, A.; Gentilini, M.; Lunazzi, C.; Sorgato, P.; Fasanar, A. M.; Pizza, V.; Mignogna, M. T.; Sabatelli, M.; Lippi, G.; Gomitoni, A.; Lovaste, M. G.

In: Brain, Vol. 119, No. 6, 1996, p. 2053-2061.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Beghi, E, Bono, A, Bogliun, G, Cornelio, F, Rizzuto, N, Tonali, P, Zerbi, D, Castelli, C, Ferrari, G, Marconi, M, Simone, P, Apollo, F, Amoruso, L, Crociani, P, Zarelli, M, Angelini, C, Briani, C, Fincati, E, Affuso, R, Bottacchi, E, Lia, C, Carenini, L, Veratti, AM, Guastella, G, Canistra, U, Meineri, P, Grasso, E, Bargagli, G, Gresti, M, Cavaletti, G, Santoro, P, Marzorati, L, Antozzi, C, Belhni, A, Gentilini, M, Lunazzi, C, Sorgato, P, Fasanar, AM, Pizza, V, Mignogna, MT, Sabatelli, M, Lippi, G, Gomitoni, A & Lovaste, MG 1996, 'The prognosis and main prognostic indicators of Guillain-Barre syndrome. A multicentre prospective study of 297 patients', Brain, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 2053-2061. https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/119.6.2053
Beghi, E. ; Bono, A. ; Bogliun, G. ; Cornelio, F. ; Rizzuto, N. ; Tonali, P. ; Zerbi, D. ; Castelli, C. ; Ferrari, G. ; Marconi, M. ; Simone, P. ; Apollo, F. ; Amoruso, L. ; Crociani, P. ; Zarelli, M. ; Angelini, C. ; Briani, C. ; Fincati, E. ; Affuso, R. ; Bottacchi, E. ; Lia, C. ; Carenini, L. ; Veratti, A. M. ; Guastella, G. ; Canistra, U. ; Meineri, P. ; Grasso, E. ; Bargagli, G. ; Gresti, M. ; Cavaletti, G. ; Santoro, P. ; Marzorati, L. ; Antozzi, C. ; Belhni, A. ; Gentilini, M. ; Lunazzi, C. ; Sorgato, P. ; Fasanar, A. M. ; Pizza, V. ; Mignogna, M. T. ; Sabatelli, M. ; Lippi, G. ; Gomitoni, A. ; Lovaste, M. G. / The prognosis and main prognostic indicators of Guillain-Barre syndrome. A multicentre prospective study of 297 patients. In: Brain. 1996 ; Vol. 119, No. 6. pp. 2053-2061.
@article{b89f0bf68afd4a7cb8c979a0d531d9f5,
title = "The prognosis and main prognostic indicators of Guillain-Barre syndrome. A multicentre prospective study of 297 patients",
abstract = "To assess the prognosis of the Guillain-Barre syndrome and identify, the main prognostic indicators, 297 patients with Guillain-Barre syndrome recruited through a network of Italian centres were followed up for 24 months or until clinical recovery whichever was earliest. For each patient the time to plateau, improvement, clinical recovery, or death was calculated, and prodnostic indicators (age, sex, antecedent events, disability at admission and nadir, electrophysiological patterns) and treatments were noted. The mean duration of follow-up was 309 days. During this period, 212 patients (71{\%}) recovered, 48 (16{\%}) had residual and 33 (11{\%}) died. The mean times to nadir, improvement and clinical recovery were 12, 28 and 200 days. Using life-tables and survival curves, the cumulative probability of achieving the plateau of symptoms was 73{\%} by 1 week and 98{\%} by 4 weeks. Improvement started during the first week in 36{\%} of cases and within 4 weeks in 85{\%}. The rates of clinical recovery at 1 and 4 weeks, 6, 12 and 24 months were 4, 24, 57, 70 and 82{\%}, respectively. The chance of recovery was significantly affected by age, antecedent gastroenteritis, disability electrophysiological signs of axonopathy, latency to nadir and duration of active disease. The main treatments did not seem to affect the chance of recovery.",
keywords = "Acute polyneuritis, Guillain-Barre syndrome, Prognosis, Prognostic factor",
author = "E. Beghi and A. Bono and G. Bogliun and F. Cornelio and N. Rizzuto and P. Tonali and D. Zerbi and C. Castelli and G. Ferrari and M. Marconi and P. Simone and F. Apollo and L. Amoruso and P. Crociani and M. Zarelli and C. Angelini and C. Briani and E. Fincati and R. Affuso and E. Bottacchi and C. Lia and L. Carenini and Veratti, {A. M.} and G. Guastella and U. Canistra and P. Meineri and E. Grasso and G. Bargagli and M. Gresti and G. Cavaletti and P. Santoro and L. Marzorati and C. Antozzi and A. Belhni and M. Gentilini and C. Lunazzi and P. Sorgato and Fasanar, {A. M.} and V. Pizza and Mignogna, {M. T.} and M. Sabatelli and G. Lippi and A. Gomitoni and Lovaste, {M. G.}",
year = "1996",
doi = "10.1093/brain/119.6.2053",
language = "English",
volume = "119",
pages = "2053--2061",
journal = "Brain",
issn = "0006-8950",
publisher = "Oxford University Press",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - The prognosis and main prognostic indicators of Guillain-Barre syndrome. A multicentre prospective study of 297 patients

AU - Beghi, E.

AU - Bono, A.

AU - Bogliun, G.

AU - Cornelio, F.

AU - Rizzuto, N.

AU - Tonali, P.

AU - Zerbi, D.

AU - Castelli, C.

AU - Ferrari, G.

AU - Marconi, M.

AU - Simone, P.

AU - Apollo, F.

AU - Amoruso, L.

AU - Crociani, P.

AU - Zarelli, M.

AU - Angelini, C.

AU - Briani, C.

AU - Fincati, E.

AU - Affuso, R.

AU - Bottacchi, E.

AU - Lia, C.

AU - Carenini, L.

AU - Veratti, A. M.

AU - Guastella, G.

AU - Canistra, U.

AU - Meineri, P.

AU - Grasso, E.

AU - Bargagli, G.

AU - Gresti, M.

AU - Cavaletti, G.

AU - Santoro, P.

AU - Marzorati, L.

AU - Antozzi, C.

AU - Belhni, A.

AU - Gentilini, M.

AU - Lunazzi, C.

AU - Sorgato, P.

AU - Fasanar, A. M.

AU - Pizza, V.

AU - Mignogna, M. T.

AU - Sabatelli, M.

AU - Lippi, G.

AU - Gomitoni, A.

AU - Lovaste, M. G.

PY - 1996

Y1 - 1996

N2 - To assess the prognosis of the Guillain-Barre syndrome and identify, the main prognostic indicators, 297 patients with Guillain-Barre syndrome recruited through a network of Italian centres were followed up for 24 months or until clinical recovery whichever was earliest. For each patient the time to plateau, improvement, clinical recovery, or death was calculated, and prodnostic indicators (age, sex, antecedent events, disability at admission and nadir, electrophysiological patterns) and treatments were noted. The mean duration of follow-up was 309 days. During this period, 212 patients (71%) recovered, 48 (16%) had residual and 33 (11%) died. The mean times to nadir, improvement and clinical recovery were 12, 28 and 200 days. Using life-tables and survival curves, the cumulative probability of achieving the plateau of symptoms was 73% by 1 week and 98% by 4 weeks. Improvement started during the first week in 36% of cases and within 4 weeks in 85%. The rates of clinical recovery at 1 and 4 weeks, 6, 12 and 24 months were 4, 24, 57, 70 and 82%, respectively. The chance of recovery was significantly affected by age, antecedent gastroenteritis, disability electrophysiological signs of axonopathy, latency to nadir and duration of active disease. The main treatments did not seem to affect the chance of recovery.

AB - To assess the prognosis of the Guillain-Barre syndrome and identify, the main prognostic indicators, 297 patients with Guillain-Barre syndrome recruited through a network of Italian centres were followed up for 24 months or until clinical recovery whichever was earliest. For each patient the time to plateau, improvement, clinical recovery, or death was calculated, and prodnostic indicators (age, sex, antecedent events, disability at admission and nadir, electrophysiological patterns) and treatments were noted. The mean duration of follow-up was 309 days. During this period, 212 patients (71%) recovered, 48 (16%) had residual and 33 (11%) died. The mean times to nadir, improvement and clinical recovery were 12, 28 and 200 days. Using life-tables and survival curves, the cumulative probability of achieving the plateau of symptoms was 73% by 1 week and 98% by 4 weeks. Improvement started during the first week in 36% of cases and within 4 weeks in 85%. The rates of clinical recovery at 1 and 4 weeks, 6, 12 and 24 months were 4, 24, 57, 70 and 82%, respectively. The chance of recovery was significantly affected by age, antecedent gastroenteritis, disability electrophysiological signs of axonopathy, latency to nadir and duration of active disease. The main treatments did not seem to affect the chance of recovery.

KW - Acute polyneuritis

KW - Guillain-Barre syndrome

KW - Prognosis

KW - Prognostic factor

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0030453518&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0030453518&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1093/brain/119.6.2053

DO - 10.1093/brain/119.6.2053

M3 - Article

VL - 119

SP - 2053

EP - 2061

JO - Brain

JF - Brain

SN - 0006-8950

IS - 6

ER -