The prognostic role of in-hospital peak glycemia in stemi patients with and without diabetes

Chiara Lazzeri, Serafina Valente, Marco Chiostri, Paola Attanà, Claudio Picariello, Gian Franco Gensini

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Due to the lack of appropriately designed randomized trials, the definitive answer in regard to the prognostic role of in-hospital glucose values in patients with AMI is lacking. We prospectively assessed the prognostic role of in-hospital peak glycemia (≤1.40, 141-180 and >180 g/l) in 611 consecutive STEMI patients (diabetic and without previously known diabetes) submitted to percutaneous coronary intervention. One hundred and fifteen (18.8%) were diabetic and the remaining 496 (81.2%) without previously known diabetes. At multivariable logistic regression analysis, peak glycemia was an independent predictor for in-ICCU death in the overall population and in patients without previously known diabetes. At follow-up, in the overall population (as well as in diabetic and non-diabetic patients), patients with peak glycemia >1.8 g/l showed the lowest survival rate, those with peak glycemia 1.4 and

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)379-386
Number of pages8
JournalActa Diabetologica
Volume49
Issue number5
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Oct 2012

Fingerprint

Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
Population
Survival Rate
Logistic Models
Regression Analysis
Glucose
ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction

Keywords

  • Long term follow-up
  • PCI
  • Peak glycemia
  • Prognosis
  • STEMI

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Endocrinology
  • Internal Medicine
  • Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism

Cite this

Lazzeri, C., Valente, S., Chiostri, M., Attanà, P., Picariello, C., & Gensini, G. F. (2012). The prognostic role of in-hospital peak glycemia in stemi patients with and without diabetes. Acta Diabetologica, 49(5), 379-386. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00592-011-0343-4

The prognostic role of in-hospital peak glycemia in stemi patients with and without diabetes. / Lazzeri, Chiara; Valente, Serafina; Chiostri, Marco; Attanà, Paola; Picariello, Claudio; Gensini, Gian Franco.

In: Acta Diabetologica, Vol. 49, No. 5, 10.2012, p. 379-386.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Lazzeri, C, Valente, S, Chiostri, M, Attanà, P, Picariello, C & Gensini, GF 2012, 'The prognostic role of in-hospital peak glycemia in stemi patients with and without diabetes', Acta Diabetologica, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 379-386. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00592-011-0343-4
Lazzeri, Chiara ; Valente, Serafina ; Chiostri, Marco ; Attanà, Paola ; Picariello, Claudio ; Gensini, Gian Franco. / The prognostic role of in-hospital peak glycemia in stemi patients with and without diabetes. In: Acta Diabetologica. 2012 ; Vol. 49, No. 5. pp. 379-386.
@article{586674becc554c0da3ad05aa8e934676,
title = "The prognostic role of in-hospital peak glycemia in stemi patients with and without diabetes",
abstract = "Due to the lack of appropriately designed randomized trials, the definitive answer in regard to the prognostic role of in-hospital glucose values in patients with AMI is lacking. We prospectively assessed the prognostic role of in-hospital peak glycemia (≤1.40, 141-180 and >180 g/l) in 611 consecutive STEMI patients (diabetic and without previously known diabetes) submitted to percutaneous coronary intervention. One hundred and fifteen (18.8{\%}) were diabetic and the remaining 496 (81.2{\%}) without previously known diabetes. At multivariable logistic regression analysis, peak glycemia was an independent predictor for in-ICCU death in the overall population and in patients without previously known diabetes. At follow-up, in the overall population (as well as in diabetic and non-diabetic patients), patients with peak glycemia >1.8 g/l showed the lowest survival rate, those with peak glycemia 1.4 and",
keywords = "Long term follow-up, PCI, Peak glycemia, Prognosis, STEMI",
author = "Chiara Lazzeri and Serafina Valente and Marco Chiostri and Paola Attan{\`a} and Claudio Picariello and Gensini, {Gian Franco}",
year = "2012",
month = "10",
doi = "10.1007/s00592-011-0343-4",
language = "English",
volume = "49",
pages = "379--386",
journal = "Acta Diabetologica",
issn = "0940-5429",
publisher = "Springer-Verlag Italia s.r.l.",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - The prognostic role of in-hospital peak glycemia in stemi patients with and without diabetes

AU - Lazzeri, Chiara

AU - Valente, Serafina

AU - Chiostri, Marco

AU - Attanà, Paola

AU - Picariello, Claudio

AU - Gensini, Gian Franco

PY - 2012/10

Y1 - 2012/10

N2 - Due to the lack of appropriately designed randomized trials, the definitive answer in regard to the prognostic role of in-hospital glucose values in patients with AMI is lacking. We prospectively assessed the prognostic role of in-hospital peak glycemia (≤1.40, 141-180 and >180 g/l) in 611 consecutive STEMI patients (diabetic and without previously known diabetes) submitted to percutaneous coronary intervention. One hundred and fifteen (18.8%) were diabetic and the remaining 496 (81.2%) without previously known diabetes. At multivariable logistic regression analysis, peak glycemia was an independent predictor for in-ICCU death in the overall population and in patients without previously known diabetes. At follow-up, in the overall population (as well as in diabetic and non-diabetic patients), patients with peak glycemia >1.8 g/l showed the lowest survival rate, those with peak glycemia 1.4 and

AB - Due to the lack of appropriately designed randomized trials, the definitive answer in regard to the prognostic role of in-hospital glucose values in patients with AMI is lacking. We prospectively assessed the prognostic role of in-hospital peak glycemia (≤1.40, 141-180 and >180 g/l) in 611 consecutive STEMI patients (diabetic and without previously known diabetes) submitted to percutaneous coronary intervention. One hundred and fifteen (18.8%) were diabetic and the remaining 496 (81.2%) without previously known diabetes. At multivariable logistic regression analysis, peak glycemia was an independent predictor for in-ICCU death in the overall population and in patients without previously known diabetes. At follow-up, in the overall population (as well as in diabetic and non-diabetic patients), patients with peak glycemia >1.8 g/l showed the lowest survival rate, those with peak glycemia 1.4 and

KW - Long term follow-up

KW - PCI

KW - Peak glycemia

KW - Prognosis

KW - STEMI

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84867993708&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84867993708&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s00592-011-0343-4

DO - 10.1007/s00592-011-0343-4

M3 - Article

C2 - 22008949

AN - SCOPUS:84867993708

VL - 49

SP - 379

EP - 386

JO - Acta Diabetologica

JF - Acta Diabetologica

SN - 0940-5429

IS - 5

ER -