Thrombosis-related complications and mortality in cancer patients with central venous devices: An observational study on the effect of antithrombotic prophylaxis

Daniele Fagnani, R. Franchi, C. Porta, P. Pugliese, K. Borgonovo, A. Bertolini, M. Duro, A. Ardizzoia, V. Filipazzi, L. Isa, C. Vergani, M. Milani, C. Cimminiello

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Background: Recent guidelines do not recommend antithrombotic prophylaxis (AP) to prevent catheter-related thrombosis in cancer patients with a central line. Patients and methods: This study assessed the management of central lines in cancer patients, current attitude towards AP, catheter-related and systemic venous thromboses, and survival. Results: Of 1410 patients enrolled, 1390 were seen at least once in the 6-month median follow-up. Continuous AP, mainly low-dose warfarin, was given to 451 (32.4%); they were older, with a more frequent history of venous thromboembolism (VTE), and more advanced cancer. There was no difference in catheter-related thrombosis in patients given AP or not (2.8% and 2.2%, odds ratio 1.29, 95% confidence interval 0.64-2.6). The median time to first catheter-related complication was 120 days. Systemic VTE including deep and superficial thromboses and pulmonary embolism, were less frequent with AP (4% versus 8.2%, P = 0.005). Mortality was also lower (25% versus 44%, P = 0.0001). Multiple logistic regression analysis found only advanced cancer and no AP significantly associated with mortality. No major bleeding was recorded with AP. Conclusions: Current AP schedules do not appear to prevent catheter-related thrombosis. Systemic VTE and mortality, however, appeared lower after prophylaxis.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)551-555
Number of pages5
JournalAnnals of Oncology
Volume18
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Mar 2007

Fingerprint

Observational Studies
Thrombosis
Catheters
Venous Thromboembolism
Equipment and Supplies
Mortality
Neoplasms
Warfarin
Pulmonary Embolism
Venous Thrombosis
Appointments and Schedules
Logistic Models
Odds Ratio
Regression Analysis
Guidelines
Confidence Intervals
Hemorrhage
Survival

Keywords

  • Cancer
  • Catheter-related thrombosis
  • Central venous catheters
  • Deep vein thrombosis
  • Low-dose warfarin
  • Pulmonary embolism

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Cite this

Thrombosis-related complications and mortality in cancer patients with central venous devices : An observational study on the effect of antithrombotic prophylaxis. / Fagnani, Daniele; Franchi, R.; Porta, C.; Pugliese, P.; Borgonovo, K.; Bertolini, A.; Duro, M.; Ardizzoia, A.; Filipazzi, V.; Isa, L.; Vergani, C.; Milani, M.; Cimminiello, C.

In: Annals of Oncology, Vol. 18, No. 3, 03.2007, p. 551-555.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Fagnani, D, Franchi, R, Porta, C, Pugliese, P, Borgonovo, K, Bertolini, A, Duro, M, Ardizzoia, A, Filipazzi, V, Isa, L, Vergani, C, Milani, M & Cimminiello, C 2007, 'Thrombosis-related complications and mortality in cancer patients with central venous devices: An observational study on the effect of antithrombotic prophylaxis', Annals of Oncology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 551-555. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdl431
Fagnani, Daniele ; Franchi, R. ; Porta, C. ; Pugliese, P. ; Borgonovo, K. ; Bertolini, A. ; Duro, M. ; Ardizzoia, A. ; Filipazzi, V. ; Isa, L. ; Vergani, C. ; Milani, M. ; Cimminiello, C. / Thrombosis-related complications and mortality in cancer patients with central venous devices : An observational study on the effect of antithrombotic prophylaxis. In: Annals of Oncology. 2007 ; Vol. 18, No. 3. pp. 551-555.
@article{abc40618a4d14a81b3948cf583c90659,
title = "Thrombosis-related complications and mortality in cancer patients with central venous devices: An observational study on the effect of antithrombotic prophylaxis",
abstract = "Background: Recent guidelines do not recommend antithrombotic prophylaxis (AP) to prevent catheter-related thrombosis in cancer patients with a central line. Patients and methods: This study assessed the management of central lines in cancer patients, current attitude towards AP, catheter-related and systemic venous thromboses, and survival. Results: Of 1410 patients enrolled, 1390 were seen at least once in the 6-month median follow-up. Continuous AP, mainly low-dose warfarin, was given to 451 (32.4{\%}); they were older, with a more frequent history of venous thromboembolism (VTE), and more advanced cancer. There was no difference in catheter-related thrombosis in patients given AP or not (2.8{\%} and 2.2{\%}, odds ratio 1.29, 95{\%} confidence interval 0.64-2.6). The median time to first catheter-related complication was 120 days. Systemic VTE including deep and superficial thromboses and pulmonary embolism, were less frequent with AP (4{\%} versus 8.2{\%}, P = 0.005). Mortality was also lower (25{\%} versus 44{\%}, P = 0.0001). Multiple logistic regression analysis found only advanced cancer and no AP significantly associated with mortality. No major bleeding was recorded with AP. Conclusions: Current AP schedules do not appear to prevent catheter-related thrombosis. Systemic VTE and mortality, however, appeared lower after prophylaxis.",
keywords = "Cancer, Catheter-related thrombosis, Central venous catheters, Deep vein thrombosis, Low-dose warfarin, Pulmonary embolism",
author = "Daniele Fagnani and R. Franchi and C. Porta and P. Pugliese and K. Borgonovo and A. Bertolini and M. Duro and A. Ardizzoia and V. Filipazzi and L. Isa and C. Vergani and M. Milani and C. Cimminiello",
year = "2007",
month = "3",
doi = "10.1093/annonc/mdl431",
language = "English",
volume = "18",
pages = "551--555",
journal = "Annals of Oncology",
issn = "0923-7534",
publisher = "NLM (Medline)",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Thrombosis-related complications and mortality in cancer patients with central venous devices

T2 - An observational study on the effect of antithrombotic prophylaxis

AU - Fagnani, Daniele

AU - Franchi, R.

AU - Porta, C.

AU - Pugliese, P.

AU - Borgonovo, K.

AU - Bertolini, A.

AU - Duro, M.

AU - Ardizzoia, A.

AU - Filipazzi, V.

AU - Isa, L.

AU - Vergani, C.

AU - Milani, M.

AU - Cimminiello, C.

PY - 2007/3

Y1 - 2007/3

N2 - Background: Recent guidelines do not recommend antithrombotic prophylaxis (AP) to prevent catheter-related thrombosis in cancer patients with a central line. Patients and methods: This study assessed the management of central lines in cancer patients, current attitude towards AP, catheter-related and systemic venous thromboses, and survival. Results: Of 1410 patients enrolled, 1390 were seen at least once in the 6-month median follow-up. Continuous AP, mainly low-dose warfarin, was given to 451 (32.4%); they were older, with a more frequent history of venous thromboembolism (VTE), and more advanced cancer. There was no difference in catheter-related thrombosis in patients given AP or not (2.8% and 2.2%, odds ratio 1.29, 95% confidence interval 0.64-2.6). The median time to first catheter-related complication was 120 days. Systemic VTE including deep and superficial thromboses and pulmonary embolism, were less frequent with AP (4% versus 8.2%, P = 0.005). Mortality was also lower (25% versus 44%, P = 0.0001). Multiple logistic regression analysis found only advanced cancer and no AP significantly associated with mortality. No major bleeding was recorded with AP. Conclusions: Current AP schedules do not appear to prevent catheter-related thrombosis. Systemic VTE and mortality, however, appeared lower after prophylaxis.

AB - Background: Recent guidelines do not recommend antithrombotic prophylaxis (AP) to prevent catheter-related thrombosis in cancer patients with a central line. Patients and methods: This study assessed the management of central lines in cancer patients, current attitude towards AP, catheter-related and systemic venous thromboses, and survival. Results: Of 1410 patients enrolled, 1390 were seen at least once in the 6-month median follow-up. Continuous AP, mainly low-dose warfarin, was given to 451 (32.4%); they were older, with a more frequent history of venous thromboembolism (VTE), and more advanced cancer. There was no difference in catheter-related thrombosis in patients given AP or not (2.8% and 2.2%, odds ratio 1.29, 95% confidence interval 0.64-2.6). The median time to first catheter-related complication was 120 days. Systemic VTE including deep and superficial thromboses and pulmonary embolism, were less frequent with AP (4% versus 8.2%, P = 0.005). Mortality was also lower (25% versus 44%, P = 0.0001). Multiple logistic regression analysis found only advanced cancer and no AP significantly associated with mortality. No major bleeding was recorded with AP. Conclusions: Current AP schedules do not appear to prevent catheter-related thrombosis. Systemic VTE and mortality, however, appeared lower after prophylaxis.

KW - Cancer

KW - Catheter-related thrombosis

KW - Central venous catheters

KW - Deep vein thrombosis

KW - Low-dose warfarin

KW - Pulmonary embolism

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=33847642662&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=33847642662&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1093/annonc/mdl431

DO - 10.1093/annonc/mdl431

M3 - Article

C2 - 17158773

AN - SCOPUS:33847642662

VL - 18

SP - 551

EP - 555

JO - Annals of Oncology

JF - Annals of Oncology

SN - 0923-7534

IS - 3

ER -