250 mg/kg i.p. of the methyl ester of α-methyl-p-tyrosine (α-MpT) produced a rapid increase (by 1 h) in immunoreactive plasma ACTH, whereas the hypothalamic norepinephrine (NE) concentration and plasma corticosterone (B) changed significantly only 6 h after the administration of the inhibitor. These data suggest that the norepinephrinergic inhibitory tonus of CRF-ACTH secretion depends on the availability of a rapidly utilized pool of transmitter, affected in a very short time by α-MpT.
- Corticosterone (Plasma B)
- Norepinephrine (NE)
- α-Methyl-p-tyrosine (α-MpT)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience
- Endocrine and Autonomic Systems