Transferring patients for direct coronary angioplasty: A retrospective analysis of 135 unselected patients with acute myocardial infarction

Massimo Margheri, Francisco Meucci, Massimiliano Falai, Marco Comeglio, Cristina Giglioli, Tania Chechi, Fabrizio Bandini, Andrea Fantini, Roberto Idini, Gian Franco Gensini

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background. Direct coronary angioplasty (PTCA) represents the most effective treatment for acute myocardial infarction. However, only a minority of patients are initially admitted to hospitals with direct PTCA facilities available 24 hours daily. The safety and benefits of transfer direct PTCA are debated, and we have no data about the early return of patients to the admission hospital. Methods. We report our experience with transfer direct PTCA in unselected patients with acute myocardial infarction, and the early post-procedural return to the referring hospitals. Results. One hundred and thirty-five unselected patients with acute myocardial infarction were referred to our center for direct PTCA during 1998. The majority of patients (n = 93, 69%, group T) were initially admitted to a primary hospital whereas the rest (n = 42, 31%, group NT) were directly admitted to our hospital. One hundred and thirty-four patients underwent coronary angiography, and direct PTCA was attempted in 126 patients. The median time interval between admission and direct PTCA was higher in group T (60 vs 40 min, p <0.001). Only 3 patients (3.2%) had severe complications during transfer to our center: 1 patient with cardiogenic shock died, and 2 patients had ventricular fibrillation. The procedural and in-hospital outcomes of both groups were similar. The early post-procedural transfer to the referring hospital was possible in 88% of patients; no complications occurred during the transfer. The incidences of cardiac mortality at 6 months and at long-term follow-up were 3.4 and 5.1% respectively. Conclusions. In our experience, interhospital transfer for direct PTCA in unselected patients with acute myocardial infarction is feasible and safe. The early return to the admission hospital is safe and does not negatively influence the in-hospital outcome.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)921-926
Number of pages6
JournalItalian Heart Journal
Volume2
Issue number12
Publication statusPublished - 2001

Keywords

  • Acute myocardial infarction
  • Angioplasty
  • Primary
  • Reperfusion

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Transferring patients for direct coronary angioplasty: A retrospective analysis of 135 unselected patients with acute myocardial infarction'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this