Triplet schedule of weekly 5-Fluorouracil and alternating irinotecan or oxaliplatin in advanced colorectal cancer

A dose-finding and phase II study

M. F. Morelli, A. Santomaggio, E. Ricevuto, K. Cannita, F. De Galitiis, M. Tudini, G. Bruera, M. Mancini, M. Pelliccione, F. Calista, F. Guglielmi, F. Martella, P. Lanfiuti Baldi, G. Porzio, A. Russo, N. Gebbia, S. Iacobelli, P. Marchetti, Corrado Ficorella

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

19 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

A weekly administration of alternating irinotecan or oxaliplatin associated to 5-Fluorouracil in advanced colorectal cancer was planned in order to evaluate a new schedule maintaining dose intensities of each drug as in double combinations and tolerability of the triplet association. The following weekly schedule was administered: irinotecan, days 1 and 15; oxaliplatin, days 8 and 22; 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) over 12-h (from 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m.) timed flat infusion, days 1-2, 8-9, 15-16 and 22-23, every 4 weeks. Dosefinding and phase II study were planned. Thirteen patients were enrolled in the dose-finding study and 23 in the phase II study. The recommended doses of our study are: irinotecan 160 mg/m2; oxaliplatin 80 mg/m2; 5-FU 900 mg/m2. The doselimiting toxicity was diarrhea (35% of patients) but no cases of febrile neutropenia were observed. In 30 patients assessable for response two complete (6.7%) and 18 partial (60%) responses were observed, for an overall response rate of 66.7% (α0.05, CI±7). The triplet association using this weekly alternating schedule is an active and well-tolerated outpatient regimen. Surgical removal of residual disease was considered in 5 patients and a radical resection was performed in 5 patients (14%).

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1635-1640
Number of pages6
JournalOncology Reports
Volume23
Issue number6
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2010

Fingerprint

oxaliplatin
irinotecan
Fluorouracil
Colorectal Neoplasms
Appointments and Schedules
Febrile Neutropenia
Diarrhea
Outpatients

Keywords

  • 5-Fluorouracil
  • Advanced colorectal cancer
  • CPT-11
  • l-OHP

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology
  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

Triplet schedule of weekly 5-Fluorouracil and alternating irinotecan or oxaliplatin in advanced colorectal cancer : A dose-finding and phase II study. / Morelli, M. F.; Santomaggio, A.; Ricevuto, E.; Cannita, K.; De Galitiis, F.; Tudini, M.; Bruera, G.; Mancini, M.; Pelliccione, M.; Calista, F.; Guglielmi, F.; Martella, F.; Lanfiuti Baldi, P.; Porzio, G.; Russo, A.; Gebbia, N.; Iacobelli, S.; Marchetti, P.; Ficorella, Corrado.

In: Oncology Reports, Vol. 23, No. 6, 2010, p. 1635-1640.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Morelli, MF, Santomaggio, A, Ricevuto, E, Cannita, K, De Galitiis, F, Tudini, M, Bruera, G, Mancini, M, Pelliccione, M, Calista, F, Guglielmi, F, Martella, F, Lanfiuti Baldi, P, Porzio, G, Russo, A, Gebbia, N, Iacobelli, S, Marchetti, P & Ficorella, C 2010, 'Triplet schedule of weekly 5-Fluorouracil and alternating irinotecan or oxaliplatin in advanced colorectal cancer: A dose-finding and phase II study', Oncology Reports, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1635-1640. https://doi.org/10.3892/or-00000805
Morelli, M. F. ; Santomaggio, A. ; Ricevuto, E. ; Cannita, K. ; De Galitiis, F. ; Tudini, M. ; Bruera, G. ; Mancini, M. ; Pelliccione, M. ; Calista, F. ; Guglielmi, F. ; Martella, F. ; Lanfiuti Baldi, P. ; Porzio, G. ; Russo, A. ; Gebbia, N. ; Iacobelli, S. ; Marchetti, P. ; Ficorella, Corrado. / Triplet schedule of weekly 5-Fluorouracil and alternating irinotecan or oxaliplatin in advanced colorectal cancer : A dose-finding and phase II study. In: Oncology Reports. 2010 ; Vol. 23, No. 6. pp. 1635-1640.
@article{fa4209da18a74498b1c273bdc3fc91dd,
title = "Triplet schedule of weekly 5-Fluorouracil and alternating irinotecan or oxaliplatin in advanced colorectal cancer: A dose-finding and phase II study",
abstract = "A weekly administration of alternating irinotecan or oxaliplatin associated to 5-Fluorouracil in advanced colorectal cancer was planned in order to evaluate a new schedule maintaining dose intensities of each drug as in double combinations and tolerability of the triplet association. The following weekly schedule was administered: irinotecan, days 1 and 15; oxaliplatin, days 8 and 22; 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) over 12-h (from 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m.) timed flat infusion, days 1-2, 8-9, 15-16 and 22-23, every 4 weeks. Dosefinding and phase II study were planned. Thirteen patients were enrolled in the dose-finding study and 23 in the phase II study. The recommended doses of our study are: irinotecan 160 mg/m2; oxaliplatin 80 mg/m2; 5-FU 900 mg/m2. The doselimiting toxicity was diarrhea (35{\%} of patients) but no cases of febrile neutropenia were observed. In 30 patients assessable for response two complete (6.7{\%}) and 18 partial (60{\%}) responses were observed, for an overall response rate of 66.7{\%} (α0.05, CI±7). The triplet association using this weekly alternating schedule is an active and well-tolerated outpatient regimen. Surgical removal of residual disease was considered in 5 patients and a radical resection was performed in 5 patients (14{\%}).",
keywords = "5-Fluorouracil, Advanced colorectal cancer, CPT-11, l-OHP",
author = "Morelli, {M. F.} and A. Santomaggio and E. Ricevuto and K. Cannita and {De Galitiis}, F. and M. Tudini and G. Bruera and M. Mancini and M. Pelliccione and F. Calista and F. Guglielmi and F. Martella and {Lanfiuti Baldi}, P. and G. Porzio and A. Russo and N. Gebbia and S. Iacobelli and P. Marchetti and Corrado Ficorella",
year = "2010",
doi = "10.3892/or-00000805",
language = "English",
volume = "23",
pages = "1635--1640",
journal = "Oncology Reports",
issn = "1021-335X",
publisher = "Spandidos Publications",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Triplet schedule of weekly 5-Fluorouracil and alternating irinotecan or oxaliplatin in advanced colorectal cancer

T2 - A dose-finding and phase II study

AU - Morelli, M. F.

AU - Santomaggio, A.

AU - Ricevuto, E.

AU - Cannita, K.

AU - De Galitiis, F.

AU - Tudini, M.

AU - Bruera, G.

AU - Mancini, M.

AU - Pelliccione, M.

AU - Calista, F.

AU - Guglielmi, F.

AU - Martella, F.

AU - Lanfiuti Baldi, P.

AU - Porzio, G.

AU - Russo, A.

AU - Gebbia, N.

AU - Iacobelli, S.

AU - Marchetti, P.

AU - Ficorella, Corrado

PY - 2010

Y1 - 2010

N2 - A weekly administration of alternating irinotecan or oxaliplatin associated to 5-Fluorouracil in advanced colorectal cancer was planned in order to evaluate a new schedule maintaining dose intensities of each drug as in double combinations and tolerability of the triplet association. The following weekly schedule was administered: irinotecan, days 1 and 15; oxaliplatin, days 8 and 22; 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) over 12-h (from 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m.) timed flat infusion, days 1-2, 8-9, 15-16 and 22-23, every 4 weeks. Dosefinding and phase II study were planned. Thirteen patients were enrolled in the dose-finding study and 23 in the phase II study. The recommended doses of our study are: irinotecan 160 mg/m2; oxaliplatin 80 mg/m2; 5-FU 900 mg/m2. The doselimiting toxicity was diarrhea (35% of patients) but no cases of febrile neutropenia were observed. In 30 patients assessable for response two complete (6.7%) and 18 partial (60%) responses were observed, for an overall response rate of 66.7% (α0.05, CI±7). The triplet association using this weekly alternating schedule is an active and well-tolerated outpatient regimen. Surgical removal of residual disease was considered in 5 patients and a radical resection was performed in 5 patients (14%).

AB - A weekly administration of alternating irinotecan or oxaliplatin associated to 5-Fluorouracil in advanced colorectal cancer was planned in order to evaluate a new schedule maintaining dose intensities of each drug as in double combinations and tolerability of the triplet association. The following weekly schedule was administered: irinotecan, days 1 and 15; oxaliplatin, days 8 and 22; 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) over 12-h (from 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m.) timed flat infusion, days 1-2, 8-9, 15-16 and 22-23, every 4 weeks. Dosefinding and phase II study were planned. Thirteen patients were enrolled in the dose-finding study and 23 in the phase II study. The recommended doses of our study are: irinotecan 160 mg/m2; oxaliplatin 80 mg/m2; 5-FU 900 mg/m2. The doselimiting toxicity was diarrhea (35% of patients) but no cases of febrile neutropenia were observed. In 30 patients assessable for response two complete (6.7%) and 18 partial (60%) responses were observed, for an overall response rate of 66.7% (α0.05, CI±7). The triplet association using this weekly alternating schedule is an active and well-tolerated outpatient regimen. Surgical removal of residual disease was considered in 5 patients and a radical resection was performed in 5 patients (14%).

KW - 5-Fluorouracil

KW - Advanced colorectal cancer

KW - CPT-11

KW - l-OHP

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=77951706637&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=77951706637&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.3892/or-00000805

DO - 10.3892/or-00000805

M3 - Article

VL - 23

SP - 1635

EP - 1640

JO - Oncology Reports

JF - Oncology Reports

SN - 1021-335X

IS - 6

ER -