Up-front intravesical chemotherapy for low stage, low grade recurrent bladder cancer

Massimo Maffezzini, Alchiede Simonato, Marco Zanon, Marco Raber, Giorgio Carmignani

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Purpose: We evaluated the ablative and prophylactic potential of short schedule, up-front topical chemotherapy on low stage and grade recurrent bladder tumors. Materials and Methods: The study design consisted of 4 weekly instillations followed by transurethral resection during week 5. Mitomycin C was administered initially and mitoxantrone was administered following the same schedule if disease recurred during followup. Results: After up-front mitomycin C, 29 of 42 patients (69%) had a complete response with no need for transurethral resection, whereas residual disease was resected in the remaining 13 (31%). Disease recurred during followup in 22 of the 42 patients (52.4%), who were then treated with up-front mitoxantrone with a complete response in 14 (63.7%). Residual disease was resected in 8 patients (36.3%) with progression to grade 3 in 2. Conclusions: Short schedule intravesical chemotherapy can completely ablate small volume recurrent superficial bladder cancer in a relevant number of patients but it is not adequate prophylaxis.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)91-93
Number of pages3
JournalJournal of Urology
Volume155
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - Jan 1996

    Fingerprint

Keywords

  • Bladder neoplasms
  • Drug therapy
  • Mitomycin C
  • Mitoxantrone

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Urology

Cite this

Maffezzini, M., Simonato, A., Zanon, M., Raber, M., & Carmignani, G. (1996). Up-front intravesical chemotherapy for low stage, low grade recurrent bladder cancer. Journal of Urology, 155(1), 91-93.