Variability of the medullary arcuate nucleus in humans

Beatrice Paradiso, Stefano Ferrero, Gaetano Thiene, Anna Maria Lavezzi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Introduction: The arcuate nucleus is a component of the ventral medullary surface involved in chemoreception and breathing control. The hypoplasia of this nucleus is a very frequent finding in victims of sudden unexplained fetal and infant death (from the last weeks of pregnancy to the first year of life). On the contrary, this developmental alteration is rarely present in age-matched controls who died of defined causes. These observations lead to hypothesize that a well-developed and functional arcuate nucleus is generally required to sustain life. The aim of this study was to investigate whether the arcuate nucleus maintains the same supposed function throughout life. Methods: We carried out neuropathological examinations of brainstems obtained from 25 adult subjects, 18 males and 7 females, aged between 34 and 89 years, who died from various causes. Results: For almost half of the cases (44%) microscopic examinations of serial histological sections of medulla oblongata showed a normal cytoarchitecture of the arcuate nucleus, extending along the pyramids. For the remaining 56% of cases, various degrees of hypodevelopment of this nucleus were observed, validated through the application of quantitative morphometric investigations, from decreased area, neuron number and volume, to full aplasia. Conclusions: These unexpected findings indicate that the involvement of the arcuate nucleus in chemoreception in adulthood is questionable, given the possibility of living until late age without this nucleus. This opens new perspectives for researchers on the role and function of the arcuate nucleus in humans from birth to old age.

Original languageEnglish
Article numbere01133
JournalBrain and Behavior
Volume8
Issue number11
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2018

Fingerprint

Arcuate Nucleus of Hypothalamus
Medulla Oblongata
Fetal Death
Brain Stem
Respiration
Research Personnel
Parturition
Neurons
Pregnancy

Keywords

  • adulthood
  • aplasia
  • arcuate nucleus
  • chemoreception
  • human brainstem
  • hypoplasia
  • medulla oblongata

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Behavioral Neuroscience

Cite this

Variability of the medullary arcuate nucleus in humans. / Paradiso, Beatrice; Ferrero, Stefano; Thiene, Gaetano; Lavezzi, Anna Maria.

In: Brain and Behavior, Vol. 8, No. 11, e01133, 2018.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Paradiso, Beatrice ; Ferrero, Stefano ; Thiene, Gaetano ; Lavezzi, Anna Maria. / Variability of the medullary arcuate nucleus in humans. In: Brain and Behavior. 2018 ; Vol. 8, No. 11.
@article{b83ef121eb8d401d9f91daa77340b107,
title = "Variability of the medullary arcuate nucleus in humans",
abstract = "Introduction: The arcuate nucleus is a component of the ventral medullary surface involved in chemoreception and breathing control. The hypoplasia of this nucleus is a very frequent finding in victims of sudden unexplained fetal and infant death (from the last weeks of pregnancy to the first year of life). On the contrary, this developmental alteration is rarely present in age-matched controls who died of defined causes. These observations lead to hypothesize that a well-developed and functional arcuate nucleus is generally required to sustain life. The aim of this study was to investigate whether the arcuate nucleus maintains the same supposed function throughout life. Methods: We carried out neuropathological examinations of brainstems obtained from 25 adult subjects, 18 males and 7 females, aged between 34 and 89 years, who died from various causes. Results: For almost half of the cases (44{\%}) microscopic examinations of serial histological sections of medulla oblongata showed a normal cytoarchitecture of the arcuate nucleus, extending along the pyramids. For the remaining 56{\%} of cases, various degrees of hypodevelopment of this nucleus were observed, validated through the application of quantitative morphometric investigations, from decreased area, neuron number and volume, to full aplasia. Conclusions: These unexpected findings indicate that the involvement of the arcuate nucleus in chemoreception in adulthood is questionable, given the possibility of living until late age without this nucleus. This opens new perspectives for researchers on the role and function of the arcuate nucleus in humans from birth to old age.",
keywords = "adulthood, aplasia, arcuate nucleus, chemoreception, human brainstem, hypoplasia, medulla oblongata",
author = "Beatrice Paradiso and Stefano Ferrero and Gaetano Thiene and Lavezzi, {Anna Maria}",
year = "2018",
doi = "10.1002/brb3.1133",
language = "English",
volume = "8",
journal = "Brain and Behavior",
issn = "2157-9032",
publisher = "John Wiley and Sons Ltd",
number = "11",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Variability of the medullary arcuate nucleus in humans

AU - Paradiso, Beatrice

AU - Ferrero, Stefano

AU - Thiene, Gaetano

AU - Lavezzi, Anna Maria

PY - 2018

Y1 - 2018

N2 - Introduction: The arcuate nucleus is a component of the ventral medullary surface involved in chemoreception and breathing control. The hypoplasia of this nucleus is a very frequent finding in victims of sudden unexplained fetal and infant death (from the last weeks of pregnancy to the first year of life). On the contrary, this developmental alteration is rarely present in age-matched controls who died of defined causes. These observations lead to hypothesize that a well-developed and functional arcuate nucleus is generally required to sustain life. The aim of this study was to investigate whether the arcuate nucleus maintains the same supposed function throughout life. Methods: We carried out neuropathological examinations of brainstems obtained from 25 adult subjects, 18 males and 7 females, aged between 34 and 89 years, who died from various causes. Results: For almost half of the cases (44%) microscopic examinations of serial histological sections of medulla oblongata showed a normal cytoarchitecture of the arcuate nucleus, extending along the pyramids. For the remaining 56% of cases, various degrees of hypodevelopment of this nucleus were observed, validated through the application of quantitative morphometric investigations, from decreased area, neuron number and volume, to full aplasia. Conclusions: These unexpected findings indicate that the involvement of the arcuate nucleus in chemoreception in adulthood is questionable, given the possibility of living until late age without this nucleus. This opens new perspectives for researchers on the role and function of the arcuate nucleus in humans from birth to old age.

AB - Introduction: The arcuate nucleus is a component of the ventral medullary surface involved in chemoreception and breathing control. The hypoplasia of this nucleus is a very frequent finding in victims of sudden unexplained fetal and infant death (from the last weeks of pregnancy to the first year of life). On the contrary, this developmental alteration is rarely present in age-matched controls who died of defined causes. These observations lead to hypothesize that a well-developed and functional arcuate nucleus is generally required to sustain life. The aim of this study was to investigate whether the arcuate nucleus maintains the same supposed function throughout life. Methods: We carried out neuropathological examinations of brainstems obtained from 25 adult subjects, 18 males and 7 females, aged between 34 and 89 years, who died from various causes. Results: For almost half of the cases (44%) microscopic examinations of serial histological sections of medulla oblongata showed a normal cytoarchitecture of the arcuate nucleus, extending along the pyramids. For the remaining 56% of cases, various degrees of hypodevelopment of this nucleus were observed, validated through the application of quantitative morphometric investigations, from decreased area, neuron number and volume, to full aplasia. Conclusions: These unexpected findings indicate that the involvement of the arcuate nucleus in chemoreception in adulthood is questionable, given the possibility of living until late age without this nucleus. This opens new perspectives for researchers on the role and function of the arcuate nucleus in humans from birth to old age.

KW - adulthood

KW - aplasia

KW - arcuate nucleus

KW - chemoreception

KW - human brainstem

KW - hypoplasia

KW - medulla oblongata

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85055190214&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85055190214&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1002/brb3.1133

DO - 10.1002/brb3.1133

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:85055190214

VL - 8

JO - Brain and Behavior

JF - Brain and Behavior

SN - 2157-9032

IS - 11

M1 - e01133

ER -