Vinorelbine therapy in classic Kaposi’s sarcoma: A retrospective study of 20 patients

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Systemic chemotherapy is the main treatment of diffuse and/or aggressive classic Kaposi’s sarcoma (KS) but there are no standard treatment guidelines and published literature regarding vinorelbine is lacking. Objectives: To assess the safety and effectiveness of intra-venous vinorelbine in the treatment of classic KS. Materials & methods: We performed a retrospective study of a departmental database in histologically proven classic KS. Results: Twenty patients received intra- venous vinorelbine as cycles of 20 mg/m2 once every two weeks for 5 cycles and subsequently at a dose of 30 mg/m2 once every three weeks. Of 19 assessable patients, three (16%) had a complete remission and 11 (58%) had a partial response, for an overall response rate of 74%. The remaining 5 patients had a stable disease (26%). Grade 3 or 4 toxicities were neutropenia (3/20 patients), deep vein thrombosis (1/20 patients) and constipation (1/20 patients). The median progression-free survival from the start of therapy until the development of progressive disease was 35.1 months. Conclusion: Vinorelbine is an effective and overall well tolerated treatment for classic KS.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)535-538
Number of pages4
JournalEuropean Journal of Dermatology
Volume25
Issue number6
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Nov 1 2015

Fingerprint

Kaposi's Sarcoma
Retrospective Studies
Therapeutics
Constipation
Neutropenia
Venous Thrombosis
Disease-Free Survival
vinorelbine
Databases
Guidelines
Safety
Drug Therapy

Keywords

  • Chemotherapy
  • Intravenous vinorelbine
  • Kaposi’s sarcoma
  • Treatment

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Dermatology

Cite this

Vinorelbine therapy in classic Kaposi’s sarcoma : A retrospective study of 20 patients. / Brambilla, Lucia; Recalcati, Sebastiano; Tourlaki, Athanasia.

In: European Journal of Dermatology, Vol. 25, No. 6, 01.11.2015, p. 535-538.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{feb62e8f7dc548d695e58aef0953b533,
title = "Vinorelbine therapy in classic Kaposi’s sarcoma: A retrospective study of 20 patients",
abstract = "Background: Systemic chemotherapy is the main treatment of diffuse and/or aggressive classic Kaposi’s sarcoma (KS) but there are no standard treatment guidelines and published literature regarding vinorelbine is lacking. Objectives: To assess the safety and effectiveness of intra-venous vinorelbine in the treatment of classic KS. Materials & methods: We performed a retrospective study of a departmental database in histologically proven classic KS. Results: Twenty patients received intra- venous vinorelbine as cycles of 20 mg/m2 once every two weeks for 5 cycles and subsequently at a dose of 30 mg/m2 once every three weeks. Of 19 assessable patients, three (16{\%}) had a complete remission and 11 (58{\%}) had a partial response, for an overall response rate of 74{\%}. The remaining 5 patients had a stable disease (26{\%}). Grade 3 or 4 toxicities were neutropenia (3/20 patients), deep vein thrombosis (1/20 patients) and constipation (1/20 patients). The median progression-free survival from the start of therapy until the development of progressive disease was 35.1 months. Conclusion: Vinorelbine is an effective and overall well tolerated treatment for classic KS.",
keywords = "Chemotherapy, Intravenous vinorelbine, Kaposi’s sarcoma, Treatment",
author = "Lucia Brambilla and Sebastiano Recalcati and Athanasia Tourlaki",
year = "2015",
month = "11",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1684/ejd.2015.2659",
language = "English",
volume = "25",
pages = "535--538",
journal = "European Journal of Dermatology",
issn = "1167-1122",
publisher = "NLM (Medline)",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Vinorelbine therapy in classic Kaposi’s sarcoma

T2 - A retrospective study of 20 patients

AU - Brambilla, Lucia

AU - Recalcati, Sebastiano

AU - Tourlaki, Athanasia

PY - 2015/11/1

Y1 - 2015/11/1

N2 - Background: Systemic chemotherapy is the main treatment of diffuse and/or aggressive classic Kaposi’s sarcoma (KS) but there are no standard treatment guidelines and published literature regarding vinorelbine is lacking. Objectives: To assess the safety and effectiveness of intra-venous vinorelbine in the treatment of classic KS. Materials & methods: We performed a retrospective study of a departmental database in histologically proven classic KS. Results: Twenty patients received intra- venous vinorelbine as cycles of 20 mg/m2 once every two weeks for 5 cycles and subsequently at a dose of 30 mg/m2 once every three weeks. Of 19 assessable patients, three (16%) had a complete remission and 11 (58%) had a partial response, for an overall response rate of 74%. The remaining 5 patients had a stable disease (26%). Grade 3 or 4 toxicities were neutropenia (3/20 patients), deep vein thrombosis (1/20 patients) and constipation (1/20 patients). The median progression-free survival from the start of therapy until the development of progressive disease was 35.1 months. Conclusion: Vinorelbine is an effective and overall well tolerated treatment for classic KS.

AB - Background: Systemic chemotherapy is the main treatment of diffuse and/or aggressive classic Kaposi’s sarcoma (KS) but there are no standard treatment guidelines and published literature regarding vinorelbine is lacking. Objectives: To assess the safety and effectiveness of intra-venous vinorelbine in the treatment of classic KS. Materials & methods: We performed a retrospective study of a departmental database in histologically proven classic KS. Results: Twenty patients received intra- venous vinorelbine as cycles of 20 mg/m2 once every two weeks for 5 cycles and subsequently at a dose of 30 mg/m2 once every three weeks. Of 19 assessable patients, three (16%) had a complete remission and 11 (58%) had a partial response, for an overall response rate of 74%. The remaining 5 patients had a stable disease (26%). Grade 3 or 4 toxicities were neutropenia (3/20 patients), deep vein thrombosis (1/20 patients) and constipation (1/20 patients). The median progression-free survival from the start of therapy until the development of progressive disease was 35.1 months. Conclusion: Vinorelbine is an effective and overall well tolerated treatment for classic KS.

KW - Chemotherapy

KW - Intravenous vinorelbine

KW - Kaposi’s sarcoma

KW - Treatment

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84957889034&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84957889034&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1684/ejd.2015.2659

DO - 10.1684/ejd.2015.2659

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:84957889034

VL - 25

SP - 535

EP - 538

JO - European Journal of Dermatology

JF - European Journal of Dermatology

SN - 1167-1122

IS - 6

ER -