Recupero del cammino nell'emiplegico con frattura di femore.

Translated title of the contribution: Walking recovery in stroke patients with femoral fracture

B. Gialanella, M. Bonomelli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

The aims of this study were: 1) to evaluated the degree of walking of hemiplegic patients after femur fracture, 2) to evaluate if the neurological damage interferes with the recovery of walking. We studied 51 hemiplegic patients with femur fracture. All patients could walk without any help before the fracture. At the end of the rehabilitation period we had the following results: 5.8% of patients regained full walking independence; 37.2% walked with a cane; 43.1% with a quadripod; 9.8% walked with assistance; 3.9% remained unable to walk. 50.9% of them regained their prefracture functions. 96.1% returned directly to their own home, the remaining 3.9% were admitted to Geriatric hospitals. To address the second aim, we divided the same patients into two groups of 20 patients each (A = mild impairment; B = severe impairment) according to Mathew's scale. At the end of treatment, 95% of group A and 75% of group B regained full walking independence. In conclusion: 1) the femur fracture did not influence the recovery of walking in stroke patients, 2) patients with mild neurological impairment had enhanced recovery of walking.

Translated title of the contributionWalking recovery in stroke patients with femoral fracture
Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)294-297
Number of pages4
JournalGiornale Italiano di Medicina del Lavoro ed Ergonomia
Volume21
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - 1999

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Walking recovery in stroke patients with femoral fracture'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this